SBH Hammer on Bisley?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Willie Makeit

Bearcat
Hello. New member here.

I just became the proud owner of a New Bisley Blackhawk with the 45acp/45lc conversion.

I've owned the SBH, and two old model Vaquero's and still have a single-six.

I really like the grip of the Bisley, but not sure about the hammer, unless it just takes some getting used to.

Question: Can a SBH hammer be fitted to a Bisley?

Thanks.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
It will fit in but look funny.

I would recommend trying to get used to it. There really isnt much difference between the two.
The twop on the right are a SBH and a Bisley next to each other on the same pivot.
Rugerhammers.jpg

You will have a large gap where the hammer goes into the grip frame.
The BFR on top is a Bisley grip frame with a SBH hammer and trigger.
DSCN0697.jpg

Willie Makeit

Bearcat
Thanks for the help.

I was just thinking a little bit higher on the spur might make single-handed cocking easier, although I almost always use a two handed hold and use my weak hand thumb (left) to cock the hammer with.

I'll practice some more with it and see how it goes.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Willie Makeit":3k2vmure said:
I really like the grip of the Bisley, but not sure about the hammer, unless it just takes some getting used to.

Question: Can a SBH hammer be fitted to a Bisley?

Thanks.

Im no expert but I believe the "super" hammer should be a drop-in fit except as pointed out there would be an extra large opening in the gripframe behind the hammer, because the hump on the "super" hammer is missing. It is an easy swap and one that is not too expensive. Be sure to check function and for transfer bar pinch with the new hammer.

...and welcome. :D :D

BlackhawkHammers-1.jpg

...Jimbo

Willie Makeit

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies and pics.

I can see that the hammer spur is not much different between the two and I wouldn't like that extra large opening behind the hammer in the grip frame.

I'll just practice more with the Bisley hammer. It just seems harder for me to cock single-handed or even with the thumb on my weak hand, but not impossible.

I seem to cock faster with a standard hammer, and it's been a long time since my SBH to remember the difference, although I do remember the spur being wider and easier to purchase.

Thanks again.