OM loading gate question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatheadsal

Single-Sixer
Hey guys fired my new to me OM .41 yesterday, using factory Remington ammo, with each shot the loading gate dropped open about 1/4", I assume it's the gate spring, any trick to getting it out? Have done gripframe, trigger, hammer changes so I know I can handle it, need to know position of gate during removal etc.? Anyone know of a readily available substitute spring? like ball point pen spring or such? thanks for any help, Flatheadsal
BTW that 4 5/8" OM .41 is a sweet little beast, I LIKE IT!!!

under neath the cylinder frame, after you remove the grip frame ,is a plug screw, spring and plunger, that keeps the loading gate in place and working properly...my bet is either the plunger or the spring is "sticking" ( rusted in place) and needs to be cleaned out, and soaked.....you could probably put some 'Kroil' in,under and around the loading gate ,without even taking the gun apart, let it soak real well and work the gate, thats usually the "trouble..as unless the gun was apart, something changed or removed unlikely it worked "loose" as there is not far for the screw to back out...sometimes the spring is a bit "short" though, so I'd still take it apart and check it ut...very simple and easy job.......the plug screw should be "flush" with the under surface of the cylinder frame, maybe a half turn or so "inward"........

as I said ( and I prefer) the "KISS" principle.....and until I had started to use 'Kroil' myself, we always had to "take 'em apart, to make 'em work..." but that stuff does the trick, why not start easy first...... :wink: