KGP-160 disassembly and "smoothing up"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Vic

Bearcat
Greetings,
I haven't wondered into this part of the forum before, but I am wondering where to start with learning how to work with my Ruger SS GP-100, short lug, 6" revolver. It has not had a lot of use so far, but that will change and in so doing.......more shooting, reloading, etc. - I'd like to learn the workings and disassembly ( and re-assembly ) as well. Are there any references for these activities ? I appreciate any information from you more experienced folks.

Regards, Vic

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Geee, where to start? Vic the GP is really a great gun platform and easy to work on. I would say before dis-assembling for the first time read the owners manual completely, check-out the Ruger videos on there website, look for a clear plastic bag to dis-assemble the gun in, and if you feel the need to do a little work on it get the IBOK, a short book written by a member of the forum, outlining all the practical procedures for slicking the gun up. :D

...Jimbo

Vic

Bearcat
IBOK ? Looks like an interesting acronym - what does it mean ? I do look in on "the other forum" on occasion........assuming you're referring to RUGERFORUM.NET - I haven't come across the info about working with a GP-100. I do recall seeing info bout GP-100 assembly/disassembly somewhere, but don't recall where I saw it.

Also - what's the clear plastic bag for ? Keep track of parts ?

Thanks, Vic

deac45

Single-Sixer
Iowegan's Book Of Knowledge
It's a great guide for the GP100. I think he has one for the MKII also. A query over on the .net board should get you fixed right up.

deac45

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Just search here for IBOK or IOWEGAN and you will find a ton of stuff. The plastic bag will catch any errant flying parts if you assemble or dis-assemble the gun in it. :D

...Jimbo