Looking for a gunsmith

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rex Driver

Bearcat
I have three Ruger Vaqueros Original Model in 357 4-5/8 and I have a big problem. I would like to get them slicked up for Cowboy Shooting (I now shoot with two Vaquero new models). I thought I had found a gunsmith in Va. to do a job on replacing the springs with Wolf Springs and slicking up the internals, HOWEVER, he over estimated his ability and to make this long story short, I now have two Vaqueros and one in a bag with extra parts.

I am looking for a gunsmith who I could trust to do these three guns for me.

Anybody knowing one who works on Ruger Single Actions and does not charge both arms and legs, please let me know. I would be willing to work with him and either he or I could purchase the spring kits.

thanking you in advance Spencer (Rex Driver) Wilkinson

PS, yes I know about the DVDs and the instruction books, however, as a gunsmith, I make a fairly good retired cop.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Why don't you show up at your local Cowboy Action Shoot and ask the shooters there?

I'm sure someone there will have some answers!

flatgate

I'm still having a problem with the statement you now have a bag of parts because the "gunsmith" overestimated his abilities. What kind of gunsmith can't take a Ruger S/A apart and put it back together?

Here's one suggestion--

http://www.gunfighter.com/graham/
Convert 2 pin new model Ruger S.A. or Vaquero to function like the old 3 screw model with safety notch, half-cock, no sliding safety bar $175.00

Rex Driver

Bearcat
jimbo1096":20u8khzu said:
I'm still having a problem with the statement you now have a bag of parts because the "gunsmith" overestimated his abilities. What kind of gunsmith can't take a Ruger S/A apart and put it back together?

Here's one suggestion--

http://www.gunfighter.com/graham/
Convert 2 pin new model Ruger S.A. or Vaquero to function like the old 3 screw model with safety notch, half-cock, no sliding safety bar $175.00
Obviously not a very good one, actually he was a fellow shooter who claimed ability and I am the other shooter not smart enough to demand any references.

LOL - Too bad there isn't a fellow forum member close enough to you to help put it back together.

BTW- The referral to Graham is one I'd heard from other sources, but I have no direct experience with them.

FWIW the 'other' Ruger forum has an excellent guide for self instruction on tuning the S/A Rugers, called the IBOK. You have to be a member with a min. amount of posts to access it.
Good Luck.

DGW1949

Hunter
If CAS is your game, and if Ruger is your choice of 6-gun(s), I got's four words for you.......

Wes Flowers (and) Lifetime Waranty.

What I don't have off hand is his contact info. But all ya gotta do is google his name.

DGW

Rex Driver

Bearcat
edlmann":10rvk09d said:
DGW1949":10rvk09d said:
If CAS is your game, and if Ruger is your choice of 6-gun(s), I got's four words for you.......
Wes Flowers (and) Lifetime Waranty.
What I don't have off hand is his contact info. But all ya gotta do is google his name.

Or click here.

I would like to thank all of you for your fine information about finding a gunsmith. I got very lucky and found that I have a gunsmith of some national reference and an over all good guy living just 75 miles from me.
I discovered this man by a suggestion I got in a PM from this site about Midway Gunsmith finder. This man's name is Ron Zimmerman and goes by the CASS alias of Rusty Marlin, I will be going to his place this coming Saturday. Again, thanks for the useful tips, as always this group has been money in the bank as far as providing information and help.