How can I convert a mag to hi-cap?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Accept

Single-Sixer
First, it's legal to converrt a mag in Colorado. I have a P91 and the 11 round factory hi-caps are a pain to find and then are expensive so I would like to know if it's possible to convert a ten rounder to hold two or three more? Below is a photo of a factory mag and it has the restriction bubble thing, could those be drilled out to allow it to hold more? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ruger-mag1.jpg

Accept

Single-Sixer
VinnieBoomBah":1g976vqa said:
If Colorado or your local area has no restrictions than feel free to do as you wish.

I would like to know if anyone else has tried to convert them and if it was successful or not before I try and possibly ruin a mag.

VinnieBoomBah

Bearcat
If it were mine, I would remove the base plate and try and flatten the dimples out from the inside. Maybe a clamp or Vice-grips (with appropriate support) could be modified to press it out?

alizard

Bearcat
Flattening the bubbles won't work, it will deform the mag tube and it will bind in the gun. You MIGHT be able to cut the bubbles off and file the edges smooth. I never tried it, that's a felony in my state.

Accept

Single-Sixer
Thank you both for your input, I appreciate it. Think I'll stick with the 11 rounders for the moment. I know a mechanic with a machine shop and I'll ask if he minds if I experiment on a ten rounder I have sometime soon, not going to do anything to the 11 rounders unless the ten comes out looking nice and functions good.

Still wouldn't mind hearing people's experiences if you've tried modifying mags.

railroader

Single-Sixer
Are you sure those dimples keep the mag from holding 11 rounds instead of 10? The dimple is awful low and the mag spring needs to compress somewhere. Maybe try taking the base pad off and load rounds through the top of the mag to see how far down the follower comes down. The 11 rounders might have a different follower. Hate to see you mess up a perfectly good mag if it isn't going to work anyway. Here's an 11 rounder and it has a dimple too. http://www.ammoclip.com/R/ruger_p91.htm Mark
RUG%20P91%2011rd%2040SW%20fact.jpg

Accept

Single-Sixer
railroader":4mtvao4u said:
Are you sure those dimples keep the mag from holding 11 rounds instead of 10? The dimple is awful low and the mag spring needs to compress somewhere. Maybe try taking the base pad off and load rounds through the top of the mag to see how far down the follower comes down. The 11 rounders might have a different follower. Hate to see you mess up a perfectly good mag if it isn't going to work anyway. Here's an 11 rounder and it has a dimple too. http://www.ammoclip.com/R/ruger_p91.htm Mark

Was checking my mags and found a ten rounder and it has the dimple so I doubt that has anything to do with capacity. Found out the hi-cap is smooth on the side like the one you have pictured and the ten rounder has a crease going down the middle on each side like in the one pictured below. Just ordered a couple more 11 rounders from http://www.jocoemprise.com/pistols/rugerp.html and just going to stick with 11 rounds and leave the mags alone.
ruger-mag2.jpg

Bigfelipe

Bearcat
Accept":3lbviyg7 said:
and just going to stick with 11 rounds and leave the mags alone.

Probably a good idea, but I'd be interested to see how many the mag can fit. I've always wondered why they are so low capacity. I know ruger doesn't do hi cap, but it seems like a mag that big should hold 13-15 rds not 10-11.

I was checking my mags and the only difference is the groove on the side. The springs look like they may be of different material, but they have the same number of coils. The followers are identical as are the bases. I can see how the groove could adjust the stacking enough to cut cap by one round, but I don't see how they could be increased. Of course, I'm no engineer.

I have heard they make 12rd mags, but never seen a factory one. Don't think I'm gonna mess with mine. 1 rd isn't worth ruining a mag over to me. I have 4- 20rd, 4- 11rd and 3- 10rd. I just want some spare springs.

If you want more rounds there are 20rd aftermarkets that work well and they are cheap.

but I may have mentioned this already... dejavu...

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Just curious if 13/15 is such a big deal over 10/11? Just never caught the hi-cap bug I guess.

alizard

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":2s6lsik2 said:
Just curious if 13/15 is such a big deal over 10/11? Just never caught the hi-cap bug I guess.
That's what I was thinking. Some people buy ten round .40 mags and use them for 9mm because they hold 14 or 15 rounds of 9mm (that is legal in kali, as long as you don't modify the .40 mag to make it work as a 9mm mag). Picking up 5 extra rounds maybe worth it, just one isn't worth the trouble.

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
has anyone tried a 15 rd P95 magazine. A friend of mine has a P89 and my P95 mags work just fine. He actually used them for his CHP class because he would need to reload more than one magazine.