OLD ARMY Front sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Just purchased an Old Army with a white insert (appears to be professionally done) because this one is a 200 hundredth year model can it be replaced? Should it be replaced.
TIA Charlie

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If it's stainless, it's much easier to restore to original. Ruger is the best to do it; they'll re-silver braze a new sight on the barrel. However, including repair and shipping costs back and forth to the factory, the cost will far exceed any potential value regained as a 200 year gun, if there's any. So many were produced.

I'd just enjoy the custom sight albeit a red insert works better for most to improve front sight visibility.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
In the case of a blued gun, the repair is the same but includes a barrel re-blue. But it would look like it did brand new. Ruger's repair costs are very reasonable. And if you have an FFL ship it to Ruger their cost is far less. Ruger includes about $30 for return shipping and can ship it back to you direct.

they made a lot of the Old Army, I would just leave it , or simply "blacken" the front blade??? by whatever covers, the best ''too bad it is not 'red' then I'd LEAVE it !!!
it is what it is, not worth the time, effort, chance of loss, the cost , whatever.... :roll: :wink: 8)

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Single sixer and Ruger guy. Changing it to red or blackening is a good idea. I have a few more liberties so is one is my shooter.

Latest posts