mk 2 22/45 help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

scubadad

Bearcat
I have a mk2 22/45 that was lnib when I got it. Looked to have been fired very little if at all. My issue is I can not slingshot the bolt closed. Feeds fires and ejects perfectly. Insert empty mag and pull the bolt back and it will lock. After the last round is fired the bolt locks back every time. Insert full mag with bolt open and the only way to close is by using the bolt release. Remove mag with bolt open and again the only way to close is with bolt release

I have the owners manual with parts break down but not seeing what may be wrong.

scubadad

Bearcat
Yes it is functioning as designed. Found a youtube video with a slingshot mod for the 22/45. What had me scratching my head was that the owners manual says it can be done. I guess they use the same for both the 22/45 and the standard series.

In case anyone was wondering the 22/45 has a detent on the slide stop lever. The detent keeps the lever up there is no spring like on the metal framed standard series.

At least I tore it down and cleaned it up. Reassembly was not hard. I was expecting worse based on some horror stories I have heard.

DHD

Single-Sixer
Glad you figured it out. Funny in a way as I've had mine since 98 and haven't taken the lower down yet. It needs a better trigger, but has always shot very accurately.

If you really want the slingshot feature, the simplest solution is to remove the detent and detent spring from the bolt stop assembly. If your bolt stop assembly moves freely in the frame you're good to go.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Here's 1/2 an answer. Somewhere in the past couple days cruising the web I saw a "slingshot" bolt stop. I am going to guess it was at Brownell's. but as I was cruising the web that may not be it.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Neither the 22/45 (made during the era of the Mark II production) nor the Ruger 22/45 Mark III were designed to perform the sling-shot method to release the BOLT, and have it go forward after a fresh magazine full of rounds has been inserted.
While some have learned and will "parrot" the procedure involving removing the "bolt stop assembly detent and spring" which was most likely learned from visiting RimfireCentral over and over again, they don't know what to do in case that "gravity drop" conversion fails. And sometimes just removing the detent and spring ONLY, does fail.
Here's the solution that I've posted in many other forums, including RimfireCentral, as to how the gravity drop of the bolt stop assembly can be made much more positive:
HorPyxgl.jpg

L@@K at the rear tail of the bolt stop assembly. Do you see how that tail is hung up in the grip frame slot for it, and not able to drop down? By removing some of the metal on the tail of the bolt stop assembly, and then polishing that surface, the weight of the bolt stop assembly will carry it downward after the spring and detent have been removed, each and every time. :D

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
That's just another one of those "gimmicks" they buy from someone else and resell. The gravity modification works EVERY time, as long as the owner knows what they are doing.

It's amazing to me, at least, as to how many gimmicks for the Ruger Mark pistols get sold. For example: the metal block that guides the hammer strut away from the bottom sear spring leg pin. All one needs to do is tilt the muzzle upward around 45° and the hammer strut will swing right over and be in line with the top of the mainspring housing spring plunger. Easy peasy, and it's FREE!

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
^^^^ Oh, no doubt you are correct. I'd rather see folks who own Ruger 22/45 pistols put their hard earned cash toward more .22 rimfire ammunition which ='s more fun shooting.

Latest posts