Anyone ever "antique" or age a Ruger Stainless SA?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SAFARIKID said:
Looking to take a nice custom Bisley and make it look old and worn...How is it done and if you did yours would love to see pics too!
Thanks Pardners! :wink:

Never seen an "Antiqued" Stainless firearm! Seems the Antiqued does not fit with stainless. ps

DHD

Single-Sixer
Not sure what that would look like. Maybe Scotchbrite of different colors, silver here, red there? The good thing is if you don't like what you've done, go back with a pad of what ever grit Scotchbrite you like and unantique it after the experiment.

I do know that I have the ability to put a scratch on the finish even after I tell myself "don't do that", so honest (and stupid) wear comes after time. You knew that already though....

contender

Ruger Guru
This week,, Shooting Gallery TV showed Cimmarron Firearms,, and they had production gun,, they called "Original" finish,, because it looked old & worn. They said they put the guns in a tumbler, with all sorts of metal scrap, and tumble a little. Gives the gun a worn patina quite quickly.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I don't know about stainless, but if it's blued, just remove the bluing. I bought this .41mag Blackhawk from an acquaintance in this condition as he had before me. We suspect it was being prepared for a re-blue.

I kept it in this condition, because I like the "old gunfighter" look of it.

P2bkDw2.jpg

We call it "El Guapo".

Aqualung

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Stainless is probably the wrong road to take for antique finish . Short of finish damage what can you do ? Suppose you could DuraCote it then scuff it up.
Carbon steel guns are easy to do.
This is a Beretta/Uberti with the factory "aged" finish.

413834076.jpg

And this is a Ruger fake case color that went bad. After buffing to shiny metal a quick rub of browning solution left a nice patina.

414426914.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Antiqued stainless is an oxymoron.

Look at an old well used stainless gun. It just gets covered with micro scratches that dulls the shine if it had a polished stainless finish to begin with.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
My 1886 Winchester has a factory nickeled reciever that is best up so I'm betting stainless could be filled and scratched to look similar.