Springfield dbl. brl. 410 won't open after firing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wobbly34b

Bearcat
Really nice old double barrel, bought at an estate sale. After firing I have to break over my knee to get it open. Firing pins are not retracting. After removing the stock I find that there are no hammers and no mechanical means to retract the firing pins. The firing pins protrude from the receiver .100". The only remedy I can think of is to remove them and possibly shorten them maybe .010 or .020" and then make sure they are polished good. I don't really want to do this and would like to hear from someone that has experience with a similar gun and problem. This gun was probably made by Savage. Pat. Apr. 20 1915.
I appreciate any answers.
Bob

agree with the above, do NOT cut them down,, keep opening it up with them sticking out and they will end up shearing off and then you'll be worse off.......ONCE you got it open put some Kroil in the pin holes, try to "gently" push them back , working them in and out,,,most likely rust build up around the pins or the holes,,,,,,,good soaking is called for ...do remove the butt stock ( wood ) so as to NOT get the wood damaged in any way,....nice old gun,,,just need s a bit of TLC.... 8) :roll: :wink:

PS. do NOT try and enlarge the pin holes in the frame,its one thing to "clean" them out and another to ream them............ :shock:

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted above,, the most likely culprit is a build-up of gunk that needs cleaning out. Another thought, is the possibility of weakened rebound springs. You said it doesn't have them,, but maybe they are stuck, or rusted away. You did mention it was old. Find an exploded parts diagram if possible to show you. If a soaking & GENTLY pushing in & out of the pins doesn't help,, then a good disassembly & internal cleaning may be in order. If you don't have the skills,, have a gunsmith versed in old shotguns do it.

Listen to what rugerguy and contender recommended. I have had many old break action shotguns come into the shop with various problems, including the non retracting firing pins. The vast majority just needed to have a GOOD cleaning and relubrication. If you have access to a parts break down (Numrich Arms or google is your friend) look it over real close to see if it is missing or has any damaged parts. But I think you will be surprised at what a GOOD cleaning will do for you.

Actually sounds like a pretty nice .410 to have.

All the above! And you might try the following . . .

Since you have the stock off, remove the fore-end wood and then remove the barrels. Then you can submerge the entire "works" in the receiver in a coffee can full of kerosene for a few days.

Occasionally try tapping the pins V*E*R*Y G*E*N*T*L*Y until they begin to move. Given a little time, kerosene can work wonders. Then blow the entire receiver out with compressed air and go with the oil as rugerguy suggests. :mrgreen:

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Also maybe not on your gun but some of their single shots. The FP was angled DOWNWARD in the frame without a retract spring. The design was that when opening the extractor/ejector rising would PUSH the FP back into it's hole in the frame...........Yours maybe like that