Ruger MK I Assembly

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
Just blowing off steam now! I disassembled my Standard Mode. Mk I pistol for cleaning for the first time since I've owned it. I always cleaned my MK I after cleaning but never attempted to completely strip it down by removing the upper barrel assembly from the lower. It comes apart easily after watching several online videos, but what a b_ _ _ h putting it back together...at least an hour playing with all it's parts. It was worth it however with all the dried gunk in it internally. Should be good for another 25 years now! Had to vent!

Enigma

Hunter
I share your feelings about the MK I. In this particular instance, there are some useful videos on Youtube. I frequently check there for disassembly and reassembly videos. Some are much more useful than others, but I can frequently find what I need there. FWIW, Ruger also has some disassembly/reassembly videos on their website.

RSIno1

Hunter
You have to look at it cross eyed and bite your tongue just right while holding it upside down and shaking it. Everything falls right in place that way.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I have a OLD Standard model. Some time back, I replaced the barrel, etc. with a stale version that is stamped "Mark II Target", ad have had the original barre/receiver just "laying around". Recently I found a "used" grip section ad bought it hoping to make my old barrel/receiver a "pistol" again. Sadly, the grip part appears to have been abused, and it took some effort to "fit" the upper part to it. When I did get it to go together and tried to install the mainspring housing, it will mot latch - keeps backing out of the proper position! Could this be due to a problem with the grip section? I've though about trying the mainspring section from another Ruger to see if that one would do better? Is there just some "step" I'm missing?

Mike Holmes