Easiest way to reinstall the spring on a Bearcat?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was at the range and swapped grips on my two Bearcats. In doing so, on the OM Bearcat, I knocked out the heavy spring in the grip frame. What a bear to reinstall (ha ha ha).

Is there an easier way? I took a small nail, and after compressing the sight, used my third hand (daughter's) to get the small nail into the hole of the other piece. (I'm sorry, I don't know the names of these different pieces.) But, the nail only went half way through. I did finally get it, but it wasn't easy and I'm wondering if there is something better for next time.

MT16qBvl.jpg

Thanks! I bookmarked the link.

I tried this for several days. Each time I had to quit because my fingertips hurt so much. Several times the spring went flying and I had to hunt down the pieces.

I realize I'm not a gunsmith. :D

Fox Mike said:
Kevin, please excuse me BUT, I have to ask. How did you manage to knock out the hammer spring while changing a grip?

I'm not exactly sure. I don't use a lot of force, just because I don't want to break anything. I think the little piece where the spring fits into is worn and doesn't fit over the lugs on the grip frame the best. It's an unconverted old model. Pretty accurate too. Fun to shoot anyway.

InjunBro

Bearcat
Old guntinkers trick: assemble spring-loaded parts inside a cardboard box so when they go flying they don't fly far... or often imbed themselves in the box. :?

princeout

Blackhawk
I had to do this on an OM Blackhawk this week. My wife frowns on my "borrowing" dinnerware, so I grapped a wooden cloths pin I had lying around for holding targets. Used the business end and it worked just fine!
Tim