Allen or Torx Head Screws for Scope Rings

Help Support Ruger Forum:

If you know the thread size, check your local ACE Hardware or other local hardware store. I know ACE does have a section where the nuts, bolts, etc. are located and is actually marked gun or firearm screws. Heck, they even have the 1/8 inch "C" clips that are used on the ejection port dust cover rod on AR's

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
The MOST common thread size screws for rings and bases are #6-40, #6-48 and #8-40. If you have a local "hardware store" that stocks torx screws with those thread pitches, you are one lucky fella!

Now, if you can get Ruger to send you the above size and thread pitch screws in the torx style...........for FREE, by all mean go for it! :roll:

gk5cEgcl.jpg

langenc

Single-Sixer
Try Leupold. I asked them about some screws a few yrs ago and the put them in the mail immediately. I didnt really use theirs which will probably be torx which are best.
Go to your Truvalue and get a good torx drive of the size needed to do the job, with a nice sized handle not those little watch drivers.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
FWIW,
TORX are way better than allen

Agree wholeheartedly. Many of the hex socket head scope ring and base screws are being made in, and coming from, the folks who invented Covid 19 and think the world should share in that affliction. They also make the soft steel hex wrenches for those screws, which are soft and the corners round over in the screw sockets when tightening screws. You won't get that with the torx style screws and dedicated torx wrenches available in the sizes we need for rings and bases.
When I do bases and rings, I'll show the owner some of the buggered up hex socket screws that I've removed from owners who've done their own base and optics mounting. I've even twisted off hex socket screw heads and been left with just a short threaded nub to remove. It's a good visual to show them why torx screws, cleaned of any oil residue, and a drop or two of #242 Loctite and then snugging up those screws tightly, just using the appropriate wrench, will hold the scope in place even on those heavy-duty recoil bumpers that it takes to anchor a "BIGFOOT".

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Fox Mike said:
Another good source is Fastenal if there is one near you.

Well, there is one near me, in Rice Lake, WI and, they will no longer sell fasteners or cutting tooling to small businesses like myself. What these guys now do, is contract with manufacturers whereby they come in and restock their tool cribs with whatever fasteners and cutting tools they are getting low on.
I used to take my endmills and cutting tools to them and they would send them to their facility that does cutter grinding and sharpening, even on the step-drills I use for barrel lining. Not any longer. Now I need to send those out to a place near Madison, WI, and wait a week or three, until they come back.
They never had the fine pitch threads for guns that I needed, and when restoring old Stevens Favorite rifles, I tried like mad to get a #6-26 threading die from them. Would've had better luck finding a blond 19 year old gal in Afghanistan.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Had a Fastenal near me. Used them once and most fasteners were packaged in 100's. If they didnt have it, they would offer to order.
Dont know if they are still there as I used em about 6-8 yrs ago.

They're only $6 a set from Ruger and you're sure to get the right screws. Check your "parts bin" and order anything else you might need at the same time. That dilutes the shipping cost per item.

I know Ruger would gladly provide one of two screws for free but asking for a set would be stretching it a bit. I prefer to not take advantage of Ruger and buy the parts I can get on Shopruger.com. Unfortunately they have removed a number of parts from the online store so you have no choice much of the time.