m77 front sight removal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JFB

Hunter
any tips on how to remove the front sight blade from an M77

zKoDZI1.png

I tried by depressing the plunger with a 1.5mm allen key and pushing on the bead with a plastic screw driver handle.

Not a good Ideal as the tip of the brass bead broke off :cry:

IGjGBzb.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
By the looks of the picture,, you may have a bit of seizure due to rusting that you can't see. I'd add a penetrating agent, such as Marvel Mystery oil, or even K-1 Kerosene to loosen things up.
Then, depress the plunger,, and with a plastic rod GENTLY tap on the sight to remove it.

JFB

Hunter
got it soaking with wintergreen now.
the photo was SHOCKING as I can't see all that rust!
after posting I got search to work and noted others have been in the same situation before.

updated
using a 45ACP brass notched to slip over blade so impact was at base and HAMMERED till the brass was destroyed and not a budge. the plunger goes up and down just as smaooth

mike7mm08

Buckeye
The sight blade is still available so don't be to worried about damaging it. Of course let try not to destroy it. If the plunger is moving I take a small wood dowel diameter of the plunger hole. You want a force fit. Tap the dowel in firmly. That keeps the plunger down out of your way.

Next you want a good heavy brass drift. I prefer a triangular shaped one. You can lay the flat of triangle on the sight base face of the drift at the bottom of the sight. Proceed to firmly tap the drift with a heavy brass hammer. As you tap if the sight moves the wood dowel holding the pin down is so small it will snap off as the sight moves over the plunger.

The plunger can be deceiving. There is a very small nipple that is just slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the plunger that sticks up. Think you have it depressed all the way when it is not.

Before your next attempt try soaking the sight in kroil oil for couple days. Best penetrate I have used.

If none of this works try heat. Careful so as not to damage the blueing. I would try a mini torch or a soldering iron. Heat the seat blade and let cool a few times might break the bond. Then heat in again let it cool just slightly and try drifting it again. The sight base and barrel with act as a heat sink. Drawing the heat from the sight blade. Blade should shrink slightly as the sight base heats up.

Those are all my tricks. Next step is a good gunsmith that has a mill. You can still get the sight blade.