Any general tips SP 101 trigger job?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blueduck

Bearcat
I'm an unrepentant kitchen table gun fiddler. I've done about a dozen trigger jobs on various Smith and Wesson's revolvers with good success, but my first time delving into a Ruger.

Any general tips or things you found useful?

Blueduck

Bearcat
Thanks!

If I might ask on SW's I typically used one method or another to get a lighter mainspring but eventually gave up on lighter return springs as a snappy reset was worth a little extra double action pull.

Anyone find pretty much same thing with the SP 101 action?

Johnnu2

Hunter
On S&W (SW's?) revolvers I might recommend to only change the trigger rebound spring to one of the several different weight springs sold by Wolff springs and.... never change or reduce the weight of the mainspring....If you are saying that you already gave up on the trigger return spring method, apologies for not understanding your post. Sorry, don't have any Ruger double action guns...
J.

I like a nice solid return, I tried several different spring combinations in my .22lr SP101 and the stock configuration is by far the best. That trigger is smooth as silk and perfect for me, I do not care for the feel of a light trigger pull, I actually shoot better with a stiffer but smooth trigger.

Blueduck

Bearcat
Hi Johnnu2,

Yes, over 25 years I've done everything on S&W revolvers from Wolff lighter mainsprings, to trimming the mainspring screw, to finally my current method of just tuning (bending) the main spring. I usually just go down to 8-9#'s after polishing up and never experience lightstrike issues at that weight range, even with my 617. Older guns rarely ever needed it, but all of the newer Smiths I had were just way over sprung to me.

I've tried lots of Wolff rebound springs, just don't care for the feel they give.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Makes sense to me.....
I didn't realize you had tried it all already.... Should have read that in your original post. Good luck with the Ruger...
J

For Smith and Wesson springs, you should try the JM version kit from Brownell's. If you don't know who Jerry Miculec is, you shouldn't be working on anything dangerous like action work. Really....just put these springs in any large frame and your friends will think you are a real wizard gunsmith.
A stock model 58 with these springs and no other work gives me less than eight pound DA and a little over 2# SA. Most Smith's may need the rest of the work done. I don't know much about the newer steels, revolvers or tuning them. I worked on the internals of a six inch .45 Colt Anaconda and didn't improve anything. Lighter springs didn't either. Knowledgeable spring BENDING on a four inch .45 Colt Anaconda, by a man who knows how, did the job.

For the SP 101, I posted above.