Blackhawk flattop main spring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

biker50

Bearcat
I am completely confused about this and any help would be appreciated. I have a Blackhawk flattop (lipseys) made in 2012 that needs a main spring. Does it take a Vaquero spring or a Blackhawk spring? the gun has an internal lock like a Vaquero. I did check on Numrich and they show 2 different springs for the 2 guns. Also what would be the lb rating for the original spring, I would like to keep it original. Thanks for any help.

biker50

Bearcat
I was going to call Ruger. just thought I would ask the question see if anyone knew the answer, thought it would be easier. Called Ruger this morning, I guess it couldn't have been easier, they have great customer service, the spring is on the way and you were right, no charge, not even for the shipping.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The New Vaquero and NM Flat Top Blackhawk use the same 24 coil manspring which is unique to those two models only.

Just background info:

The New Vaquero design features were requested of Ruger to meet the needs of the cowboy shooters:

Mid size frame,
old model XR3 smaller size grip frame also reduced to 7/16" width instead of 1/2", with thinner grip panels,
Longer hammer spur,
special chamber alignment pawl and reversing cyl,
and lighter main spring which has 24 coils instead of the standard 28.

The new model Flat Top Blackhawk was introduced the same year as the New Vaquero and has some of those same features:

Mid size frame,
old model XR3 smaller size grip frame also reduced to 7/16" width instead of 1/2",
special chamber alignment pawl and reversing cyl,
and lighter main spring which has 24 coils instead of the standard 28.

biker50

Bearcat
Thank you very much for that explanation. that is what I have been trying to figure out about the flattop.

biker50

Bearcat
Just thought I would follow up with the spring saga. The spring came and I installed it works great. The part # is KXR00400 for any else that has this problem. That number crosses back to a Vaquero Bisley. Thank you Hondo 44 for your info, it was a help, it is 24 coils.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Has anybody managed to put a heavier mainspring in one of these Flattops with the lock? The spring in mine is way too light which in turn increases lock time.

Enigma

Hunter
rkrcpa said:
Has anybody managed to put a heavier mainspring in one of these Flattops with the lock? The spring in mine is way too light which in turn increases lock time.

You would need to eliminate the lock, then you can install a standard Blackhawk hammer strut and mainspring, but you will need either a Bearcat spring seat, or you'll have to fabricate one.