Swapping a same caliber cylinder question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SAFARIKID

Single-Sixer
Cajun Land Louisiana (New Orleans Swamp Area)
I have a 45 LC Unfluted cylinder off a Blackhawk...If I swap it to another Ruger (same caliber of course) that has the fluted version, will I run into any problems?
(and who could I ship it to if necessary to make it right with a reasonable turnaround) Thank You

woodsy

Blackhawk
I do not have a Blackhawk but I have seen (repeatedly) that the cylinder is a factory-fitted part. I'm sure that some competent smith could do the job (at some expense). I imagine that the cost could be large.

contender

Ruger Guru
Quite often,, many of us buy spare cylinders,, and easily fit them to other guns. As long as the OAL is correct,, and there isn't a gap between the cylinder & barrel,, it is usually no problem. BUT,,, double check the cylinder alignment,, BEFORE shooting it.
I've never had a timing problem,, but I have heard of a few. And good SA gunsmith can correct it.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
SAFARIKID said:
I have a 45 LC Unfluted cylinder off a Blackhawk...If I swap it to another Ruger (same caliber of course) that has the fluted version, will I run into any problems?
(and who could I ship it to if necessary to make it right with a reasonable turnaround) Thank You

Generally, this is a drop-in or do it yourself swap. As contender posted the overall length is normally the only issue to deal with.

If too long at the front hub (gas ring) to fit in the cyl window, That's preferable. A fit in the cyl window can be obtained by slight filing then a stoning or sanding to smooth up the front end of the gas ring, and that's it.

If too short, shim washers are available for a quick and easy fix, otherwise welding up the hub and fitting it, is the permanent fix. Either works well.

If the front cyl face to barrel gap is satisfactory which is anywhere between about .003" to .008", you're good to go. If tighter than that or no go, a slight "face off" of the cyl face on a lathe is needed. A simple task for any machinist, doesn't need to be a gunsmith. If the hub is too long also, a simple face off while in the lathe is easier than filing/honing.

Hope that helps