You guys are missing out; NOW with pictures!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Folks,, I just received a set of 3 different sights for 3 different SA handguns, from our member 2dogs. TOP NOTCH!!!!!!!!!!! And with my eyes aging, I need all the help I can get. I got one for my Single Seven in 327,, one for my .357 Maxi,, and a mirror sight for a 44 mag that has had the bbl cut back. I can't wait to see the results! It was dark when I got home,, and no shooting yet. But,, I can see them as a big improvement in clarity for me!

So,, if you want top quality work,, in a product that actually can help,, AND from a guy who will do all he can to make you happy,, get you some of his sights,, OR,, you will be "missing" things,, especially the bullseyes!

Here's a few pics.
First one is of the .357 Maxi, 10" above the stainless Single-Seven in .327 mag.

Here's the close-up of the sight on my Maxi.

And here is my .327 with it's close-up!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hi contender,

Thx for that endorsement! I've been tracking feedback on Fermin's sights. I know some of his sights, such as for Rugers, screw on. And others he recommends gluing the sight on with black max 380 Locktite.

Did you get any glue on versions?

contender

Ruger Guru
I got 2 that were screw on,, and one of the "mirror" solder on types. I wanted to take them out today & shoot them,, and get some pics,, but Miss Penny's "honey do" list kept me from any real fun.

I am seriously impressed with his work,, and I'm going to look at a few other ideas for later on. Most of my guns,, I try to keep factory,, or where they can be returned to "as shipped," condition. He's working on replacement blades for the Stainless guns as well. I KNOW I'll be getting some of those.

32shooter

Blackhawk
I have been thinking about trying a few of these. What width are you guys using, standard?

contender

Ruger Guru
I got the standard width for both of my screw op fronts,, as both guns have long barrels. (7-1/2" & 10")
The mirror sight is a little narrower due to the shorter barrel it's going on.

Talk to Fermin to help decide which ones you may need to use.

Cholo

Staff member
I'm going to get one for a .32 mag. Single Six. Here's Fermin's website. Let's make him rich :)

www.fermincgarza.com/shop?olsPage=products

2 dogs

Buckeye
32shooter said:
I have been thinking about trying a few of these. What width are you guys using, standard?

Why does fermincgarza.com offer so many different blade widths and why is that important? How do I decide what is best for me? Do I need to change my current blade width? I am going to try to answer these questions as I am asked for blade width recommendations all the time. The first thing is while the USA is chock full of championship level shooters, not all of them can tell you how to be one. I have spent most of my adult life teaching people fireams skills. Always pursuing a better simpler way I thought I had it narrowed down to 3 different things: A) the student wasn't looking at the sights right or B) the student wasn't pulling the trigger right or C) both A and B. Now I am 59 years old, wear trifocals, and have cataracts coming to dinner. I have discovered another malady. THE STUDENT CANNOT SEE THE SIGHTS RIGHT. So how do you know if you need a different front sight blade width? Well you have to do some shooting. Sit down and shoot the sixgun you are most accurate with at the farthest distance you feel comfortable shooting a good group. If your group is round then you are OK. If however you have a horizontal pattern or you are getting the errant left or right wide hit then you have a problem. Defined it is that your eyes cannot reconcile the amount of light on either side of the front sight in the rear notch. Or put another way, the front sight is crowding the light available in the rear notch. Now, some guys want to jump from the standard front sight width of .125" all the way to .100" because Skeeter Skelton liked to thin his blade thus. The problem is that if you go too thin too soon it can lead to left and right wide shots. Why? Well you still have the same problem which is not being able to reconcile the amount of light between the front blade and the rear notch. This is more likely to manifest itself with the shorter barrel sixguns sooner than with longer barrels because the sight "looks" wider. There are no absolute rules here. Everyone is different. My good friend, brother, mentor and teacher Dick Thompson is some 74 years young and recently surprised himself with a 1" group at 50 yards with one of my thin .100" blades. By contrast John Taffin also a dear friend, brother, teacher, and mentor shoots ragged hole groups with the standard .125" blade. John Taffin has purchased 12 sights from me. So this is something we have to sneak up on a bit. Some of my front sights go on with a screw and these are extremely popular because they are so easily modified. We started building these sights in 2010 and screwing them on BFR 475 Linebaugh's and haven't lost one yet. What's best for you? I don't know but we can find out together. I can tell you by now I have worked with many many shooters well up in age who thought their days of shooting well had past. These guys are back shooting and not sitting on the sofa watching TV reruns. What a privilege this has been. I am looking forward to working with you.

2 dogs

Buckeye
Hondo44 said:
Hi contender,

Thx for that endorsement! I've been tracking feedback on Fermin's sights. I know some of his sights, such as for Rugers, screw on. And others he recommends gluing the sight on with black max 380 Locktite.

Did you get any glue on versions?

Actually, I built ONE very small Mirror sight for a fellow who wanted one for his Single Six. We were curious if the newer industiral strength adhesives would keep it in place. So, while that is not quite a recommendation, we are curious to see how it would work out. We certainly would no glue a sight on anything with very much recoil. My client ended up not going forward with that project so we still don't know.

2 dogs

Buckeye
My thanks to Chollo and Contender.

If anyone does not want to mess around with ordering online just message or call me. I will be happy to get your needs squared away personally.

Joe S.

Hunter
I have 9 or 10 of Fermin's sights. They are all precision made and make SUCH a difference. I HATE shooting any of my stock sighted Rugers now.

Latest posts