Help - pin stuck in Stevens 94 receiver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmol50

Single-Sixer
Short story:
How do I get this pin out?

Long story:
I bought a .410 Stevens 94 last week for $30 with the goal of trying my hand at refinishing it. It had some surface rust and the stock was pretty beat up. I sanded down the stock and put a hand rubbed oil finish on it. Somewhat miraculously to me, I was able to remove all of the dings and two of the hairline cracks were sealed by wetsanding the finish in.

I remove the rust and bluing from the barrel but my little adventure caught a snag with the receiver. I was able to remove 95% of the bluing but I wasn't satisfied with that. So... I tried to disassemble the receiver and got stuck with this pin. I think I was supposed to cock the hammer before attempting to remove it.

Any tips on how to remove this pin? If not, should I pay a gunsmith to clean up my mess or just part this thing out (stripped/degreased 410 barrel, refinished stock and forend)?

Refinished stock and forend: https://flic.kr/p/2i6F2uX
Barrel and receiver: https://flic.kr/p/2i6CwVt
Receiver with stuck pin: https://flic.kr/p/2i6F2wk

SAJohn

Hunter
I do believe those are identical tapered pins that should just punch out from left to right with the hammer down. One end of the pins have a cut out which could be hanging up on you. Your photo appears to show a slotted head screw which has me puzzled.

You can do several things.

First, go online to Numrich (the gun parts people) and see if they have the schematic for it. It should show that object (not sure if it is a pin with a sly cut in it or a screw). That my give you an idea what to do.

Take it to a gunsmith, he should be able to get it out and not charge you too much.

If you are going to work on your own guns, I would suggest getting several firearms disassembly manuals.

I'll take a look in one of my manuals tomorrow and postwhat I find about this.

jmol50

Single-Sixer
Thanks SAJohn and Ron. It was good for me to step away from this project for two days. I'm feeling more patient now. And it's most certainly a screw - I need to be more precise with my vocabulary. The same type of screw came out in the hole to the SE of the stuck screw in my picture (picture #3 above). I'll check out Numrich for a schematic.

I just looked at the schematic for the 94. Those are both pins so I wonder if at some time the screw was put in there because the pin was lost. You may have to use a punch to get that screw out and then replace with new taper pins. You can get them from Numrich.

Also, is it just a Model 94 or does it have a letter suffix (94B, 94C, etc.)?

jmol50

Single-Sixer
The shotgun before me has no markings on the receiver or barrel. It doesn't even say "94".
Wow, there is a dizzying array of submodels for the 94. I looked at all of them quickly and noticed a few that were definitely NOT the one I have. The trigger guard was the differentiating factor. Some have two screws and some have a screw on one side and the entire guard spins around to unscrew the other side. I have the latter. For my
"problem"screw, it appears that all of the submodels have pins and not screws like I have. Interesting. The plot thickens. I'll spend some more time studying the schematics to see if I can narrow down the submodels any further. Thanks for the help along the way!