Probably a dumb question but......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Paul B

Hunter
Probably a dumb question but how hard is it to convert a Super Blackhawk into a Bisley" Is it just replace the grip frame and hammer or is there more to it?

Has anyone here made the conversion? Did Ruger sell the parts necessary or does one have to go to an outside source?

I have a Super Blackhawk with the 4 5/8" barrel ,44 Magnum and it has a standard Blackhawk grip frame which to be blunt is absolutely brutal with anything near a maximum or serious hunting load.

I was trying put a not quite max load for it and also stiff load for my Ruger Bisley .45 Colt. Power lever would be just about equal in both guns. Even allowing for the Bisley's slightly greater weight (5.5" barrel) the apparent recoil from the Bisley grip frame as noticeably more comfortable.

Loads were 11.0 gr. of Unique for both guns with a 250 gr. bullet for the .44 and a 255 gr. bullet for the Bisley.

Thanks for any help in getting this done.
Paul B.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Your 4 3/4" SBH has the standard XR3-RED size grip frame. Awful for loads of any power.

Have you considered the big dragoon size SBH Hunter grip, with the round trigger guard? It is 1/4" longer than your grip and has the most space behind the trigger guard which works the best for me.

This 44 also has the Bisley trigger modified to fit an old model:

standard.jpg

If you haven't shot a Bisley grip before, I recommend trying one first. Lots of shooters like them, but not all. The Bisley grip has the smallest space behind the guard.

Paul B

Hunter
I have two Bisleys, one a Super Blackhawk .44 magnum with 7.5" barrel and the other Super Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I seem to have a better time with recoil using the Bisley.
Paul B.