Preserving a WW II Kabar Knife

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
Didn't know where to post this, so forgive my if this is the wrong place. I have inherited a WW II Kabar knife and sheath from a favorite Uncle who was a Navy Seabee and served in the Pacific during the war.. It's in excellent condition and would like to keep it that way. The metal finish is excellent and I can take care of that. My concern is the leather handle and sheath, what's the best leather conditioner/preservative I can use on the leather? I don't intend to use this knife, but to pass it on to my only Grandson when my time comes. Suggestions guys?

Enigma

Hunter
You'e likely to get a different recommendation from every person who responds. I would suggest speaking to a consevator at a local museum about preserving leather.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You really don't need to do anything to it. If it's not dried ot and loose, keep it in the house warm and dry and leave it original. After 50 years in the leather store business, I've learned all leather doesn't "need" something done to it, especially if its a collector item not to be subject to use, dirt, wear, moisture etc. Most products will darken the leather. To preserve it, leave it original.

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
loaded round said:
Didn't know where to post this, so forgive my if this is the wrong place. I have inherited a WW II Kabar knife and sheath from a favorite Uncle who was a Navy Seabee and served in the Pacific during the war.. It's in excellent condition and would like to keep it that way. The metal finish is excellent and I can take care of that. My concern is the leather handle and sheath, what's the best leather conditioner/preservative I can use on the leather? I don't intend to use this knife, but to pass it on to my only Grandson when my time comes. Suggestions guys?
The answer for conserving metal, leather, wood — whatever — is Renaissance Wax. If the product is in nearly universal use in museums, are you really going to try something else? Please note that were you going to be using, the recommendation changes.