Vaquero Birdshead question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

black029

Single-Sixer
I removed the grip/stock panels and captured the mainspring but I can't seem to wiggle that and the strut out. Keep trying, or is separating the two frames necessary? Thanks.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
It is not usually necessary to separate the grip and main frames. Try working the hammer a bit as you lift and wiggle the strut.

black029

Single-Sixer
Thanks. It was a struggle, way more than a Blackhawk or GP100. But not as much as getting the spring recaptured on the strut

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If you taper the sides of the round top end of the strut that fits in the hammer slot, it makes it easier to remove and replace.

3 easy ways to replace hammer spring and spring perch at this site: http://www.cylindersmith.com/Ruger-spring.html

When you install or remove the hammer spring and strut from the grip frame, it's always easier with the cylinder removed because the hammer will move farther back.

Recognize Bearcat spring perches install below the pin. And they can be swapped into any Ruger single action for spring testing or permanent use. It's easier to swap springs when you don't have to replace the spring perch each time.
Brownells #780-000-948AK, $2.12, here:
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/mainspring-parts/mainsprings/mainspring-seat-sku780000948-11856-28534.aspx?sku=780000948

Or order direct from Ruger # PRO3603 and get it for free. Call Ruger: (336) 949-5200

For what it's worth, I have found it to be a crap shoot as to being able to pull the spring/strut out of the grip frame without removing the grip frame from the gun.

Sometimes they come right out, other times there's just no way.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
When you install or remove the hammer spring and strut from the grip frame, it's always easier with the cylinder removed because the hammer will move farther back.

I should have been more clear:

Once the spring and seat are clear of the frame and to the side, w/o the cyl in place and being able to pull the hammer all the way back a bit farther, then makes the top of the spring strut easier to pull out of the hammer slot.

Also easier to get the top of the strut started into the hammer slot for reassembly.

black029 said:
I removed the grip/stock panels and captured the mainspring but I can't seem to wiggle that and the strut out. Keep trying, or is separating the two frames necessary? Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, why are you removing the spring/strut assembly?

:mrgreen:

Latest posts