30 cal Carbine Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
Need opinions or advise. My Blackhawk rear sight is down as low as it will go yet my point of impact is still to high. I am shooting 100 gr lead gas checked 30 cal bullets with hot by safe loads. No pressure signs and the cases fall out of the cylinder. The front sight appears to be soldered on and does not appear to have the insert blade upper. Looks like the front sight and ramp are all one piece and not easily removed. Question then is how do I lower the point of impact

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The best way to get a taller front sight that will look professional is to grind off the front blade and pin in a new blade like the stainless Rugers have.
0320.jpg

You'll need a 1/2 moon groove milled or ground into the base. Of course not everyone has a milling machine! I stack 3 Carbide cut off blades together for my Dremel tool. Mount the Dremel in a vise horizontally and hold the gun to grind in the groove. If you haven't had a lot of experience using a Dremel practice on scrap metal a couple of times.

Install the blade and drill thru base and blade to install pin.

Call Ruger at this # (336) 949-5200 and they'll send you a free front sight blade and pin. Ask for the tallest blade and you can trim to the height you need.

Or you can build up your front blade with solder or liquid steel, etc. And file square to the height you need.

xtratoy

Buckeye
What diameter carbide cut off wheel do you use and where do you get them? I too have a 30 carbine with the same issue. You must have a dead steady hand to pull this feat off!!! How thick are these that you stack 3 together and get the correct width? Can you post a picture of the wheels? Are these actually carbide wheels with teeth or an abrasive wheel?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
A stack of 1" diam abrasive discs are sold in a tube wherever Dremel tools are sold. These black ones are .020", and the brown ones are .032" if I recall:

shopping

from here: https://www.google.com/search?biw=1139&bih=767&tbm=shop&ei=lf64XZuOBsHwsQXUmZ24DA&q=dremel+cut+off+bit&oq=dremel+cut+off+bit&gs_l=psy-ab-sh.12...16342.23108.0.26229.12.12.0.0.0.0.121.1321.0j12.12.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab-sh..0.2.218...0i13k1.0.YNe2jgwzPE8#spd=14050369673805513113

I use different size combinations to get the slot size I need.

One secret is using a "steady rest" next to the vise holding the dremel. This supports the weight of the gun and also provides a surface to rest your hands on while guiding the sight base into the cut off disc. A board clamped to your work surface works well. You need scribed lines on the sight base to follow to get the groove centered in the sight base. The main secret is to use gunsmith glasses to be able to see that the disc is aligned with your scribed lines Use your master shooting eye and cover the other lens with tape. You have to get too close to the work for both eyes to focus that close. Most importantly; you need a little practice.

A gunsmith will of course use a milling machine which eliminates the required skill. I have a milling machine but the set up time for these small tasks will kill ya, and then there's buying cutters. The time required for set up is what drives up the gunsmith cost. And you won't find any with the skill to cut with a dremel.

After you get the depth of your groove cut. Run a dressing stone (like used to dress a grinding wheel) against the cut off discs for a couple of seconds. That will square up the corners of the cut off discs then run it in once more to sharpen up the corners at the bottom of the mortise (1/2 moon groove) in the sight base. Or just round the edges on the sight blade tenon that fits in the base groove for a nice snug fit. Clamp the blade in place in the base groove and drill the cross pin hole thru both pieces and install the retention pin.

Any questions, just ask and if you go forward let us know how it worked for you. But most of all have fun!