.30-06 to 6.5x55?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
I have long wanted a 6.5 Swede in stainless. I have an M77 MK2 All Weather Ultralight in .30-06 in the safe that would be a candidate for a conversion. From what I have read, it's just a matter of a barrel change. Any ideas of what this might cost to have done? Any recommendations of a barrel maker to do the work? Just wondering how practical this project might be.

z1r

Single-Sixer
When what you want isn't a cataloged item, you go the custom route. Custom isn't inexpensive though. Pac Nor barrels will rebarrel starting at about $600. http://pac-nor.com/pricelist/

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Had one done by McGowen Barrels, but it wasn't stainless which would be slightly more. Turnkey job for $650 including opening up the feed lips; I went from .223 to .260. The 6.5 Swede also uses a slightly larger diameter case than the 30-06, so you might need the feed lips modified in addition to a barrel swap.

Ted

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
smoke-eater said:
Agreed. But I've never seen a 6.5 Swede in stainless.

The 6.5 X 55 is a great cartridge and any GOOD barrel maker can provide you with a premium stainless steel barrel, like as was mentioned above. McGowen is good as is Darrel Holland up in Oregon.
John Krieger at Badger Barrels is one of the best and can provide cut-rifled and button rifled barrels.

Latest posts