RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:08 pm 
Single-Sixer

Any recommendations, the screw hole in the frame for the rear sight elevation screw on my 357 Blackhawk is stripped, Screw has no more threads in the frame hole. Have no idea how this wore out. Have never overtightened the screw. Just then usual up and down small amounts for elevation corrections. I e-mailed Ruger and they want me to send the Blackhawk back. My fear, I have heard they will take off any non stock item, This Blackhawk has a SBH Hammer and Trigger, Wolf springs, Magna Ported Barrel, custom grips etc what do you think. Its a Stainless Steel made in the mid eighties

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:56 pm 
Hunter

I would look into a Helicoil. Or Keensert. A good machine shop can help you. I don’t know about hammer or magnaported barrel, but Ruger will toss your Wolff springs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:44 pm 
Ruger Guru

Any non factory parts will be removed & the gun returned to a condition "as originally shipped."
As noted above,, any good gunsmith or machinist dealing in small stuff can fix it.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:12 am 
Single-Sixer

Just Re-Tap To Next Size.. Any Gunsmith Can Do This..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:45 am 
Single-Sixer

Its the elevation screw, the one with the notches on it. A bigger screw would also require drilling the sight bigger and then finding a bigger notched screw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:37 am 
Ruger Guru

Go to a true gunsmith.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:36 am 
Hunter

Put a Helicoil in it. As good as New!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:43 am 
Blackhawk

I could not find a Helicoil or other thread insert available in 6x48, which is apparently the thread size for the Ruger rear sight screw. Brownells sells a kit for oversize 6x48 screws, but they're obviously not notched. I think your options are (1) custom thread insert, (2) thread for some other readily available sight screw, or (3) TIG weld the hole up and redrill from scratch. All of these are best done by a professional; given the difficulty of the work and the quality of the current crop of "gunsmiths", I'd lean towards a machine shop.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:40 pm 
Hunter

Does any other MFR use a larger size elevation screw? A customized screw would be cheaper/easier.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:43 am 
Hunter

One idea is, helicoil to 6x32, use a Low cap screw. Low head may fit sight base just fine. If it should move, maybe. Nylok screw with a Low head. One suggestion of Heliarc or TIG is an option. Maybe previous owner used a Weaver 301 mount and tried a wrong thread screw.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:31 pm 
Single-Sixer

I brought it to the Gunsmith I have been using, He looked at it and said he thought he could fix it. I asked what he was going to do , he replied first he would try to move some metal back and then redrill and tap. If that didn't work there were other options. He did not elaborate how he was going to move the metal back. Will keep you all posted

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:22 am 
Blackhawk

Hope he doesn't mean center-punching around the hole to displace metal into the hole. That result would last a very short time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:15 am 
Hawkeye

I don't like the sound of the gunsmith's "cure", sounds lame.

Request your gunsmith (or you if you can): to drill out the hole for a larger standard SS screw thread like 10 x 32, red Loctite in the larger screw, and grind off the head flush with a Dremel tool. Then drill and tap the larger screw 'hole plug' 6 x 48 and use an original Ruger elevation screw. Ruger will send you a free new elev. screw if you need one.

Ruger will not fix anything, they'll replace the frame and even if they do the work under warranty which is likely (you'll know if they agree to send you a free UPS or Fed Ex shipping label). Then they'll send it back thru your local dealer and you'll still have to re-register the new frame and maybe pay a transfer fee. But you'll have the gun back in no longer than 2 weeks or sooner.

Keep your grips and gut all your action parts out and keep them, they won't be needed for the sight screw repair.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:05 pm 
Single-Sixer

Hondo44 wrote:
I don't like the sound of the gunsmith's "cure", sounds lame.

Request your gunsmith (or you if you can): to drill out the hole for a larger standard SS screw thread like 10 x 32, red Loctite in the larger screw, and grind off the head flush with a Dremel tool. Then drill and tap the larger screw 'hole plug' 6 x 48 and use an original Ruger elevation screw. Ruger will send you a free new elev. screw if you need one.

Ruger will not fix anything, they'll replace the frame and even if they do the work under warranty which is likely (you'll know if they agree to send you a free UPS or Fed Ex shipping label). Then they'll send it back thru your local dealer and you'll still have to re-register the new frame and maybe pay a transfer fee. But you'll have the gun back in no longer than 2 weeks or sooner.

Keep your grips and gut all your action parts out and keep them, they won't be needed for the sight screw repair.

I'd second this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:51 am 
Blackhawk

I think Hondo's remedy for a fix is the best. I wouldn't use red thread-locker though but instead, this is what I use for badly stripped or holes drilled off location:

Clean the threads both in the screw and in the receiver with spray "brake and parts cleaner" before applying the liquid steel. If you have access to a metal lathe, I'd recommend a "spotting drill" to get a starting spot started for the #31 tap-drill so it doesn't wander off location when it starts to cut.

Trying to find the correct size combination heli-coil will be a very difficult excursion, and even if you do, the O.D. of the helicoil most likely will be too big for the area involved anyway.