10/22 glass bedding

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I've been searching youtube and rimfire central etc etc. Would like to find some real clear, precise and complete instructions (with pics preferably) on glass bedding my 10/22 heavy barrel rifle. I have bedded many bolt guns, but never a 10/22. Can someone point me in the right direction pls.?
J

Enigma

Hunter
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250931

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251075

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558429

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks..... I had seen those, but found the 10/22 instructions just a little difficult for me to completely understand..... must be getting old... :)
I did find a couple of U-tube videos that, if I "combined them" was able to get answers to some of the more tricky questions.

Enigma

Hunter
You might try posting your questions on RFC. There are some extremely knowledgeable folks there, and I'm sure they would help you out.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks.... I did post my question there and did get a couple of answers so far. The 'enigma' that appeared to me is: The author appears to be saying that he beds his 10/22 via a process of two SEPARATE steps; the first step includes the action, including the rear portion (OK so far), but then he doesn't do the first 2-4 inches of the bbl (forward from the action) until AFTER the action bedding has hardened and been cleaned-up. I normally bed (bolt guns) in one step.... the action/recoil lug, and rear tang AND about 3 inches of barrel forward of the action/recoil lug. The responses I got from RFC said that it 'appeared' to them he used a two (separate) step process; one poster said that this mehtod is not unusual and some gunsmiths do it that way.... If I do mine, I'm going to do it the way that I'm used to i.e. all at once (being very careful of that 10/22 V-block in the front (if that gets 'locked-in', I;m screwed). This is the post with the bedding methodolgy I found helpful (despite the questionable portion): https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=250931
J

Enigma

Hunter
I normally bed bolt guns the same way - all at once. If bedding a service rifle (M1 Garand or M1A/M14), I sometimes do it in two or even three steps, depending on that particular situation. Perhaps the original author simply wanted to get the receiver firmly anchored before he did the barrel. Some feel the need for pressure pads for the 10/22 barrel, and some free float it the entire length. Maybe he wanted to shoot it first to see how it shot. Who knows, since he didn't elaborate on his reasoning.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Well, as we say in the hood, the die is cast.... I bedded my 10/22 today my way. Did the portion under the V-Block, and the first +/- 3 inches of barrel forward of the receiver. Also bedded the very back "shelf" where the receiver 'sits'... just to see how it levels everything out. Tomorrow morning I get to see if the action will pop out (prayers requested); and if my methods actually DID anything of value. My main purpose of bedding is to free float the barrel and stop the stringing at 50 yds. Will report on results and if it appears I done good; then maybe the week following I'll get a chance to shoot it and report on those results.....
EDIT: It's tomorrow and I'm happy to report that, after a more than normal struggle, I got the barrel/action to pop out of my 10/22 Target stock.... took about a half hour of fighting and sweating, but she freed-up. I'm glad that I didn't have to cut that stock because it's the good-looking (sorta beige) laminated stock they put on the heavy SS barreled 10/22. Even though Acra-Glass says to wait an additional 2 1/2 days for curing.... I'm gonna try it out tomorrow... hell, it's just a .22 and it'll be about 44 hours since pouring the glass...If all goes well, there should be no more 'stringing' when the big barrel gets hot.....
Tues. 7/9 RESULTS: 100%.... no more stringing... while the weather was not as hot as last week's shooting session, I did shoot a coupla hundred rounds +/- and did my best to heat up the barrel.... no more stringing so I guess the project/experiment is a success.

Geri

Bearcat
Sound great. I wish you had posted a vidio of your process. I have had the same problem you had.
Thanks.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Apologies, I don't know how to take/post videos.... I don't own a smart phone or any kind of a video camera....
J.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Johnnu2 said:
Well, as we say in the hood, the die is cast.... I bedded my 10/22 today my way. Did the portion under the V-Block, and the first +/- 3 inches of barrel forward of the receiver. Also bedded the very back "shelf" where the receiver 'sits'....

I recall many individuals who (before they were told otherwise) back in the day, would bed the first 2-3" of a heavy barrel and "float" the receiver, figuring the small areas of the aluminum rcvr weren't designed to support, let alone hold torque for the heavy bar-stock barrels. The final foot or so fwd of the rifle's COG would be left w/ no contact with the stock of course. I have to admit this worked well for a couple of .920" barrels for me.

Johnnu2

Hunter
mohavesam said:
Johnnu2 said:
Well, as we say in the hood, the die is cast.... I bedded my 10/22 today my way. Did the portion under the V-Block, and the first +/- 3 inches of barrel forward of the receiver. Also bedded the very back "shelf" where the receiver 'sits'....

I recall many individuals who (before they were told otherwise) back in the day, would bed the first 2-3" of a heavy barrel and "float" the receiver, figuring the small areas of the aluminum rcvr weren't designed to support, let alone hold torque for the heavy bar-stock barrels. The final foot or so fwd of the rifle's COG would be left w/ no contact with the stock of course. I have to admit this worked well for a couple of .920" barrels for me.

That does make sense mohavesam. I had thought about bedding the upper sides of the receiver for some additional support, but the V-Block area has plenty of glass (some squished backwards, and 'locked in' just before the mag area as well). Also, that bbl is rather short (never measured it) and when I checked for COG, it seemed to be right about where my bedding would extend (forward) that 3+inches. I also assumed that the bedding in the back of the receiver would help lock it in and provide additional support. I also filled-in above the 'shelf' around the back of the receiver just to create a semi-circle around that portion of the receiver (I drilled some small holes and also created a dovetail to hold the glass back there). I'm no expert at this stuff, but it does seem to be really locked in even without the action screw. The groups continue to be outstanding after the bedding, so I'm guessing that, so far, it's good. Time will tell...!!! Appreciate the thoughts .... this Forum has always been a source of knowledge and support for me.
J.