Model 77 extractor issues?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A friend has a tang safety Model 77 with empty case extraction issues. Chambered in 7mm Rem mag. He is bringing it over in a few days for me to look at. I think it is probably just dirty, but will see. Anything that I should look for that might cause this issue? Thanks to you gurus in advance! :D

Dave

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Dave,

You mentioned empty case extraction issues. My first question is does that mean he's trying to cycle empty cases from the magazine then extract and eject them? Or, does it mean after he has fired the rifle, he's trying to extract them? There is a different cause for each.

For cases from the magazine, the most common issue is the extractor isn't going over the rim. The most common cause is that he's sizing the cases (assuming he's reloading) with the shoulder set back too far. Or the chamber has the shoulder cut too deep.

For cases that fail to extract after fired, the most common cause is dirt or debris under the extractor. Although I've seen it caused by a bad plunger spring under the ejector. For a bad spring the case is pulled from the chamber but will drop about the time it's fully out of the chamber.

Hope this helps,
Ted

TBear77 said:
Dave,

You mentioned empty case extraction issues. My first question is does that mean he's trying to cycle empty cases from the magazine then extract and eject them? Or, does it mean after he has fired the rifle, he's trying to extract them? There is a different cause for each.

For cases from the magazine, the most common issue is the extractor isn't going over the rim. The most common cause is that he's sizing the cases (assuming he's reloading) with the shoulder set back too far. Or the chamber has the shoulder cut too deep.

For cases that fail to extract after fired, the most common cause is dirt or debris under the extractor. Although I've seen it caused by a bad plunger spring under the ejector. For a bad spring the case is pulled from the chamber but will drop about the time it's fully out of the chamber.

Hope this helps,
Ted

Thanks Ted. I will check it out and post my findings. Curiously, he is having the same issue with a Browning BAR chambered in the same round. Odd....

Dave

Well, my first impression upon examination is that cleaning the rifle was not a priority. I cleaned and lubricated it. Now the action is smooth as butter. I do need to fire it for function, but I am fairly confident that all is well.... Range report to follow.