Question on throat measurement

Help Support Ruger Forum:

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
At the moment, I am far removed from the big city, and can not get to town to get any 45 colt ammo.....
I have a 3.75" bisley in 45 colt that never shot very well... granted I was using cowboy loads, and I only bought it for fun... But now I see a need where I may actually carry it...

Now on to the question.....

Must I slug the cylinder?.. hence the need for the bullets...... Or will my dial calipers give me a good enough idea of the throat diameter
I believe I can be just as inaccurate with my calipers, regardless if I am measuring the throats or the bullet!!.... :lol:
I think I'd like to have this done to my Ruger this summer.... Also who here performs this operation???

Thanks in advance!!

ciao y'all

contender

Ruger Guru
I slug things,, and use pin gauges to properly measure cylinders & throats. A pin gauge set is the best way to make sure of the actual measurements.

Luckily,, getting a cylinder reamed isn't expensive,, (look up Fermin Garza,, also known as "2 dogs" on the forums. Or,, look up a guy "DougGuy" as both of them do excellent work. I do my own,, as I have enough guns in 45 to where buying the tools was the best route.

Just using calipers is not the "best" method due to the micro dimensions of the edges of the calipers not sitting exactly flat in the round hole.

Getting a cylinder properly throated is usually less than $50. Go to the forum,, "singleactions dot com" to find 2 dogs the easiest. DougGuy is most often on the cast boolits forum. Both are excellent.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
To measure the throats with a caliper you must add ~.002" to the measurement due to the issue contender described with the flat edges of the caliper jaws.

Or you can sharpen the edges of your caliper jaws to a knife edge for accurate inside diameter measurements.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I have quality micrometers (mitutoyu).... and they are factory ground. I used to work in the metal fabricating industry... ,ostly punch and break presses.......
And I understand slugging, but the only 45 ammo I have is in the $3 a shot category.. So I kinda hate to pull those!!!
I'll try and get in touch with the contacts you guys suggested....
I'd like to get my bisley shooting.......