Converting Bearcat cylinder to .22 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have one that Dave Clements did for me. I am good with tools but the cost of what I would need to do the job was not much less that what Dave charged to do it. The Shopkeeper is the one.
DY2eSd1h.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Muley Gil,

Correct. But if you have an OM Bearcat and an extra OM cyl, they're plenty long enough for .22 WRF (Winch Rim Fire) which are back in production and cheaper than 22 WMR. While they're velocities are not far behind WMR.

Here's my OM Super Bearcat in WRF:

xlarge.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yeah never liked the Bearcat grip that Bill Ruger copied from the Remington .31 cap and ball Pocket revolver.

I made a set of grips that mated to the grip frame on the back. But at the top they overlay the frame with a regular single action square shape. They're slightly thicker as a result with a little more to hang on to.

Also used the wide spur hammer from a New Model Bearcat. The ejector button/rod is from a Colt Peacemaker .22 that I use on most of my Single six .22s and .32s:

standard.jpg

GD1656

Single-Sixer
I know i should know this--if the cyl is reamed for 22 mag,is it just the length or diameter also--in other words could you shoot 22 lr in it as well as 22 mag ?

Geri

Bearcat
I had a super single six with both cyl. 22 lr and 22 wmr.
Best groups were with the 22 wrf. Many head shot grouse
were taken with that load in that revolver.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hi Gary,

Thank you. Pretty easy to make. While the grip blank still has two flat and parallel sides I routed the the square top corner with a Dremel tool to relieve the back of the top to overlay the frame. My tool had a routing fixture that I never used before this.The Dremel tool clamped into it vertically with the routing bit pointed down. I clamped the fixture to my work bench and moved the grip into the routing bit to relieve the backside of the top. Even easier with the dremel routing bit mounted in a drill press chuck. Use an original Bearcat grip as a pattern and to locate the screw hole to be sure of missing the mainspring in the grip frame.