Ruger Blackhawk windage screw problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triker

Single-Sixer
Windage screw on my Blackhawk is coming out it's hole as I adjust it to the right. How can I remedy that and keep sight where it at and get adjusting screw back inside it's screw hole? Not sure exactly how it adjusts. Triker

Enigma

Hunter
It sounds like you may have more going on than just needing to adjust for windage. Normally, no more than a turn or two is required to zero the sight for windage. If you're having to turn the screw far enough for it to fall out, then something else is wrong.

Try this - roughly center the rear sight blade for windage, and then line the front and rear sights up, Does the front sight tilt noticeably to one side? If you're not certain, have a friend or two look through the sights. Ruger (and all the other gun makers, as well) has been known to send revolvers out the door with the barrel improperly timed (with the front sight not centered).

If this is the case call Ruger and politely explain your problem, and ask them for a return label. Send it back to the factory and have them correct the problem.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Triker, I just had a buddy send his (second-hand/used) Vacquero back to Ruger. It was shooting 5 - 6 inches to the left at 25 yds and 2 inches to the left at 10 yds. No adjustable sights so we knew it was the barrel/front sight. The only charge was that he had to pay the $30 shipping to Ruger because the gun was more than 2 yrs old. They took his CC# and sent UPS to pick up his gun with a mailing label ready to go. It came back a week later (last week literally) and they paid the shipping back to him; no charges for the repair. They: "adjusted barrel; adjusted cyl. gap and throat; replaced hammer, hammer plunger and spring".... all for free. Shoots straight now :))
J.

triker

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. I don't think it's the barrel tilted, it looks perfectly centered over topstrap. I think mostly me as have to adjust every guy I have to get rear blade over to right side. Was just that adjusting screw was sticking out and not flush with edge of hole it is in. After research and playing here I now see how it all fits together and I think all is well. Triker

triker

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. I don't think it's the barrel tilted, it looks perfectly centered over topstrap. I think mostly me as have to adjust every guy I have to get rear blade over to right side. Was just that adjusting screw was sticking out and not flush with edge of hole it is in. After research and playing here I now see how it all fits together and I think all is well. Triker