New 44 sp. Blackhawk is leading cyl. throats, face and forci

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triker

Single-Sixer
I have other issues with this 44, but it is leading the cyl, cyl face, and forcing cone and maybe some into barrel. Need advice. Loads are Missouri bullet co. .430, BH 12,rnfp loaded with 6.5 gr Unique, medium crimp. Sound like the load? Cyl not true with bore? Any ideas? Thanks. Triker

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I know different things can cause the leading you describe but the most common cause I have found is undersized chamber throats. It seems that most Ruger revolvers manufactured, at least for quite a while, have undersized throats.

NikA

Buckeye
I would suggest that you need to measure the throats and buy appropriately sized bullets. Most .44's do not measure .430-.431 (in my experience), despite the fact that most commercial cast bullets are .429 or .430. If I remember correctly, I size my cast bullets for .44 to .432 and that fixed my leading problems.

triker

Single-Sixer
Can't measure throats accurately, but bullets measure .430 and don't fall through but just a slight push and they do. Triker

Enigma

Hunter
I suggest that you read the chapter at the link in Glen Fryxell's Book 'From Ingot to Target,' titled 'Leading.' It details several issues that may be causing your problem(s).

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_7_Leading.htm

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted there can be several reasons you get leading. The best thing to do is to study the use of cast bullets,, and then, one by one,, start experimenting with just ONE change at a time to trace the problem.
But basically, You need to slug the bore, (easily done with pure lead "egg" type sinkers,) get a groove dimension, get a proper throat measurement of each chamber, (using pin gauges.) Any gunsmith can easily do this. And then match the bullet diameter to that, then adjust your bullet hardness to the velocities you are wanting.