Chipped grip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gutshot

Single-Sixer
I have a grip with a small chip {maybe 3/16"} on the upper edge where it meets the grip frame.
I do not have the missing piece.
Any ideas on how to fix/fill in the missing piece?

Thanks
Jeff

A lot would depend on how you wanted it to look. You could remove the grip and clean up the chip area, then glue a small piece of wood that matched, as close as possible, and then shape it to original dimensions and finish.

Or, take the grip off, rough up the broken area, tape the grip frame and reinstall the grip. Mix up a batch of JB Weld and fill the void. Once it sets up, remove the grip, shape the grip, remove the tape from the grip and reinstall.

OR, just buy a new set of grips, you can probably find them relatively cheaply, depending on the model of the gun and what the grips are made of.

Oh, by the way, you did not tell us what gun or what the grips are made of, that could make a big difference.

How big is the 'chip'? That makes a difference in how or if it can or should be repaired. If it is a small chip then you could always scrape the back of the grip and mix the shavings with a good quality wood glue and repair it that way. If it is a big chip I would live with it or buy a new set of grips.

Gutshot said:
S&W K frame smooth target grips.
Bought them at a gun show cannot believe I did not notice the chip,

Jeff

Are you or do you have a friend who is a pretty serious woodworker? If so, you can glue a piece of wood on the grip (if it's a large chip) that matches (or closely matches) the grip and reshape it to match the grip contours. If a larger chip, you use a small rod (like a small headless nail) as a dowel with the glue to insure it doesn't break during shooting.

They make some pretty good wood fillers now days some small
cans of stain you may be able to match your grips pretty well and repair them.
You also may be able to find some used ones keep your eyes open! Check the
classified now and then! ps

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
well why not try CA glue or some good two part epoxy made for wood......i have used both it to fill in small chips...the CA will be clear but no void and the epoxy u can tint it to any color you like......any pics of the damage?....God Bless,John