remove recoil pad from shotgun without wood damage.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wobbly34b

Bearcat
Hope you don't mind question about an Ithica.
Bought model 37 at an auction yesterday, it's in pretty good condition overall, but the stock is loose.
It has a red ventilated recoil pad, a white spacer and a black spacer and I cannot find any holes for screws, so I am assuming

that it is glued on. I am also thinking maybe this is why the previous owner did not tighten it. Can anyone give me any tips on how to remove this recoil pad without damaging the wood? The recoil pad says Ithica but I would not think the factory would glue one on. Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Thank you for any replies.

Bob

I would take a #2 Phillips screwdriver and starting at the top, push on the pad along the center line. You should find two "soft" spots, one towards the top and one towards the bottom. Push your screwdriver through the pad at those points and you should find the screws. They may be slotted screws. Of course if it really is glued on, forget everything I said. :)

wobbly34b

Bearcat
Thank you Highstandard and Woodperson, I did find the soft spots and removed the pad.
I was not pushing hard enough the first time.
I was able to tighten my stock.
Thanks again.

Bob

Buckshot Bill

Bearcat
Something else to remember if you ever have to do this again [to any recoil pad] is to put a slight amount of liquid dish soap on the tip and shaft of your screwdriver before shoving it through the rubber pad- that'll keep the rubber pad from being torn up.
BB

woodsy

Blackhawk
Buckshot Bill said:
Something else to remember if you ever have to do this again [to any recoil pad] is to put a slight amount of liquid dish soap on the tip and shaft of your screwdriver before shoving it through the rubber pad- that'll keep the rubber pad from being torn up.
BB
Or, use alcohol (any kind). It is a natural lubricant for rubber, and evaporates completely.
Learned this in industry, and the first time I used it my mind was blown! Can be used in many different applications.

wobbly34b

Bearcat
Wish I had thought of something like that because when I started I could not even detect the holes and when I finished I had two holes about half the diameter of the screwdriver shaft. Oh well at least my stock is tight now.

Bob

Latest posts