Revolver clear coat finish?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I might be getting an old Security-Six revolver. It is perfectly functional, but the finish is terrible. No pitting or real damage but the bluing is only about 10%. Strangely, I like the patina.... my question is if there is some type of "clear coat" finish that could be applied to protect the base metal, but preserve the patina?

Dave

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Heliman,

Leave it as is and enjoy the patina. As long as you wipe it down if it gets wet, it'll still hold up. I've got a .41 Blackhawk that appears like a former owner stripped the bluing in preparation for a refinish. I like the look.

P2bkDw2.jpg

I say it has "the gunfighter look".

I've taken "El Guapo" hunting in all weather and just give it a wipe-down with an oily rag at the end of the trip.

Aqualung

Aqualung said:
Heliman,

Leave it as is and enjoy the patina. As long as you wipe it down if it gets wet, it'll still hold up. I've got a .41 Blackhawk that appears like a former owner stripped the bluing in preparation for a refinish. I like the look.

P2bkDw2.jpg

I say it has "the gunfighter look".

I've taken "El Guapo" hunting in all weather and just give it a wipe-down with an oily rag at the end of the trip.

Aqualung

That is a solution as well. It will probably live under the seat of my truck in a soft case anyway. I will have better idea when I take a closer look at the Security Six on Sunday.

Thanks for the tip!

Dave :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Wipe it down and wrap it up in one of those silicone rags. It will not only protect the finish, it it will make it so slippery you won't be able to hold onto it. :D :D