removing compensator from Ruger 223

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bell Swamp

Bearcat
What is the best way to get the compensator to unscrew off an AR 223 by Ruger. I have a BEV block and have applied a bit of heat with a torch but have not been able to make it budge. That compensator is just too loud for my taste, and I want to put something else om the barrel.

Bell Swamp

Bearcat
I already do that, both plugs and muffs, but that compensator makes it uncomfortable to shoot from any kind of bench because of all the blast. I have tried to remove it but have never been too fond of trying to use excessive force on a firearm to. I have used a good bit of heat without luck. I was hoping someone would have some advice on how I could get that thing off without trashing my barrel.

Look at it real close to see if it has wrench flats on it. If it does, look even closer and see if you can see any small round marks like a drill hole that has been filled. If you find one of those then the flash hider has been pinned and welded and it will take more work to get it off (you have to drill out the pin). If it has wrench flats and nothing that tells you it has been pinned, then apply heat ONLY to the flash hider. If Ruger used Loctite it may take some heat to break it down.

Does it have a crush washer where it meets the barrel? If so that would tell you that it should be able to be removed. If no crush washer or any other washer, and if it does not have wrench flats, look at it VERY closely where it meets the barrel. Look for any sign that it is not part of the barrel. Ruger has used barrels that the flash hider cannot be removed. My SR556 barrel was made with the flash hider as part of the barrel and it cannot be removed unless you cut it off and then thread the barrel.

Bell Swamp

Bearcat
I spent a few minutes with a saw and another few minutes with a file. The problem is solved. It shoots great.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bell Swamp

Bearcat
I just cut it off through the last set of holes closest to the barrel and then filed it down so that it was just a bit longer than the barrel. I never touched the barrel. I rounded off a few sharp edges, and it was good to go. The blast is greatly reduced.

Bell Swamp

Bearcat

mohavesam

Hawkeye
At least one range in my area has limited flash hider-equipped rifles to the end tables.
Too many members complained or left early due to the blast and particles from birdcage-sty;e flash hiders blowing stuff out to the sides. Makes sense. (Linear comps are ok).

I think the solution was to cut the barrel close to the MUZZLE, from the post above. Many many AR guns were sold just that way.