Old Model Hammer questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If the hammer cocks fine without binding when the cyl is removed, than you're right, the pawl is a large frame pawl and sightly too tall for the 357 mid size frame. Double check by installing the cyl and placing a credit card under the cyl to keep the latch from rising. If the hammer doesn't bind, it can only be the pawl.

Therefore stone or use a Dremel tool to shorten the top of the pawl (it's too hard to file) a little at a time until the binding goes away. Do that with the pawl in the gun: cock the hammer to extend the pawl all the way up and prop it from behind with a wedge of wood to keep it from moving while you shorten it. Test the cyl often.

After you fix the binding you may need to lower the 2nd step of the pawl as well if the hammer won't cock after the cyl locks up on the latch.

Robsauto

Single-Sixer
Update: I dug around and found a few more pawls. I tried one that was .02 shorter and it runs perfect now. Tight lockup. The super black hammer looks to have a bit of the second hook worn or broken off. I have been bench testing it with the single six hammer. I may drop the SB hammer back in tomorrow, now that the pawl is straightened out. Then I went to my bucket of triggers and found this. I'll try it tomorrow but I believe it's like yours.
2iutahk.jpg

Robsauto

Single-Sixer
2rmv3wz.jpg

Put the SB hammer back in, and the wide trigger. Runs perfect with my borrowed Lipseys flat top cylinder. Barrel is just the only thing I had that would screw in. It's a Hawes .45. Of course it doesn't screw in and snug where it should, but at least I could get a feel for the gun. I guess I'll have to shelve it until I get a barrel and cylinder or send it to Roger with a blank check. I think I'll start watching the Classifieds board and eBay. Thanks for all the advise! Rob

Robsauto

Single-Sixer
I purchased a 6.5" barrel off eBay with the intentions of cutting it down to 4 5/8". While I wait for that to come in... can anyone identify these two hammers? I thought they were Ruger at first because of the spring pin. But they look a little odd. Thanks..
2wm2drc.jpg