How close are 77 Sporter and No. 1 B barrel contours?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Niederlander

Bearcat
Gentlemen, I'm considering a project and need to know how close the barrel contours on the Ruger 77 and the No. 1B are. Any help would be appreciated!

TBear77

Single-Sixer
The 77 Sporter has a muzzle diameter of 0.550 and length of 22" for most calibers, with some magnums, such as 7mm Mag and .300 Mag, having a 24" length (I don't have any magnum 77's, but someone can fill in the diameter info). The No 1B is a 26" barrel; which is much heavier (I don't have a No 1B, but someone can fill in that diameter info as well).

I've seen No 1 barrels on a 77 action; the threaded shank needs cutting down, and the stock opened up.
Going the other way, putting a 77 barrel on a No 1, could be lots of work...but is doable with $$$.

Ted

Niederlander

Bearcat
I'm actually trying to figure out if a barrel mounted scope mount for a No. 1 Sporter will fit a 77 Sporter. I've gone ahead and ordered the mount to see for myself. If it's not going to work I'll just send it back. I'll report back here if it works or not.

TBear77

Single-Sixer
The No 1A and 1AB barrel rib are the closest to the correct profile for mounting on an M77 sporter barrel. I don't think a No 1B barrel rib would work.

Ted

Latest posts