Refinish and gunsmith dad's .41 mag Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

4 lb kate

Bearcat
I got my dad's .41 mag Ruger. I would like to have it refinished as he carried and shot a lot. I don't know how he shot the thing as it must have a 1000 pound trigger. My trigger pull says 6lb 3oz. would like 3.5-4 lb. Also needs timed, hope a new cylinder is not needed.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
I wouldn't refinish it. It'll lose all the character that made it your father's personal gun.

G2

Hunter
Is it,
Old Model 3 Screw or New Model?
4.6" or 6.5" barrel?

At 6+ lbs something is not right, sounds like it might just need a good cleaning.

"Dads old 41" I would want it working correctly, slicked up, but as for the re-blue, nahhhh, that took some time and it is the way dad left it, it won't shoot any better all prettied up. Patina is hard to replicate.

Now we haven't seen a picture so if it's a disaster that might be another story. :wink:

4 lb kate

Bearcat
It is an old 3 screw. It is the long barrel and has a lot of silver metal showing but I will keep it like he left it. Will break it down to its parts and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner next week when home. Thanks for your input.

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
This isn't as well known as it used to be before Ruger brought out the new model, but you can replace the trigger spring with one from a ballpoint pen and adjust the spring for the desired pull.

If the grip frame and/or ejector rod housing is aluminum, be careful with the ultrasonic cleaner. I've read of damage to aluminum parts from ultrasonic cleaners using "Simple Green" solution as the cleaning solvent.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
4 lb kate said:
It is an old 3 screw. It is the long barrel and has a lot of silver metal showing but I will keep it like he left it. Will break it down to its parts and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner next week when home. Thanks for your input.

Plus 1 n the ultrasonic cleaning. Keeping "dad's finish" is OK, but a crown n cone trueing can never hurt. Same for a set of new springs, just to sleep easy.

4 lb kate

Bearcat
cleaned and put back together. Has a 3 pound pull now and shoots a 3" group in my hands which is good. My son put 5 rounds in a clover leaf all touching. He couldn't do it again though. He gets around 2" standing slow fire.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I would also stay with finish he left on it.

But if you change your mind some day, no one can beat a Ruger factory refinish quality or price:

Ruger cost to refinish SA revolver = $80 and $30 return shipping, last I checked.

Any old model returned to Ruger for any reason will get the transfer bar safety retrofit whether you want it or not, it's their safety policy.

But you WANT to REQUEST the retrofit safety transfer bar system. WHAT????
Yes and here's why:

You WANT to request the retrofit safety transfer bar system because the shipping cost to Ruger is the killer. About $85 for an individual to ship them the gun. Or most local dealers will ship it for you, and it's somewhat less for an FFL to ship it.

So here's what you can do: call Ruger 1 (603) 865-2442 and request a transfer bar safety upgrade which is free INCLUDING shipping BOTH ways. They'll email you a free shipping label. Tell them you want the gun to be refinished while they have it.

Many send their gun without the internal parts because although Ruger will return them, some people want to be sure to get them back. Understand: the gun itself is not modified or machined in any way for the safety retrofit. When you get the gun back in 10 to 12 days at the most, you can just swap out the transfer bar safety parts and put the originals back in. Total cost to you $80.

The re-blue will be done correctly w/o over buffing, etc., and you'll get it back fast. You can't beat their service and refinish, or even come close to it anywhere!

Actually Ruger's reblue jobs are better than original. It's not done by the regular production people who are cranking out new guns as fast as they can. But it is done on the same type machinery though, so all the surfaces have the same polishing techniques and contours as new factory guns; the secret of a restoration vs. a refinish! AND any flaws or sloppiness from the original factory polish is corrected and the gun has the nicest polish of any originals. They all seem to come back with their 'flagship' Super BH best polish.

If the gun is seriously pitted, they may not be able to get them all out if too deep, but they'll do their best. Just FYI.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I agree with all points above. !!!

Also I forgot to ask: Why do you feel it needs "re-timing" ? If it does, the factory is the only cost effective choice.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Keep the character, don't refinish.

Here's my NM .41 mag Blackhawk, I bought it this way from a friend. We suspect the prior owner stripped the finish to prep for a re-blue.

P2bkDw2.jpg

I think it gives it a "gunfighter" look. We call it "El Guapo" ("handsome one").

It shoots great.

Aqualung

Latest posts