Has anyone used this simple sight drifting tool?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
www.wyomingsightdrifter.com

I saw an add for this in American Handgunner magazine. It looks pretty cool! I don't see how it could mar your sight if you put a piece of tape on the end. Maybe you don't even need a piece of tape.

$37 shipped

Thoughts?

REB

Single-Sixer
My experience with brass is it leaves a smear of brass on the side of the sight that is hard to remove.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
The old nut cracker principle. Or more accurately, works like an old pinball machine. You won't have much control over how hard it hits or how far it drives the sight. Don't think I'd pay $37 for it.

Cholo

Staff member
I didn't think about it leaving a brass mark on the sight. Maybe a piece of electrical tape could fix that, or not.

Gunny, I think the amount of smack is determined by how far back you pull the "hammer".

Dunno. Just tossing out an idea.

JFB

Hunter
that got me thinking....
On a similiar principle, how about a large automatic punch type action. thus you are pushing in the same direction until it snaps

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I found this on the 1911 forum. I've been thinking about getting one, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
https://www.sightpushertool.com

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
I didn't think about it leaving a brass mark on the sight. Maybe a piece of electrical tape could fix that, or not.

Gunny, I think the amount of smack is determined by how far back you pull the "hammer".

Dunno. Just tossing out an idea.

That may be, but the amount of smack needed to move the sight will vary depending on how stubborn the sight is. The website was unclear on that point. No different than using a punch and a ballpeen hammer.

Just like moving a mule, trial and error. :wink: :lol:

If it was priced @$5 or so, I might give it a try, but not $32 + tax and shipping. :roll:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
I gave up on the "brass" smear when using brass as a drifting punch. Now use a copper rod whereby the copper smear can be easily removed with bore solvent. Copper isn't quite as hard as brass, so it doesn't damage a stubborn sight.

That inertia drift is a pretty neat idea though.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Mike Venturino has an article in the new Rifle magazine about drifting front sights and mentions this Wyoming tool.

Cholo said:
I hope they don't have a brass tint on both sides of the sights :mrgreen:

Funny you'd say that.

Heliman especially knows that every handgun I pick up, shoots extremely left for me. Don't know if it's a parallax problem in my eyes, as I don't know anything else that would explain it.

Anyway, all my rear sights are pushed as far right in the dovetail as they will go, with quite a bit of evidence of the brass drift that was used to push the sights over.

Heliman and I do a lot of sharing of guns. When he shoots mine, his shots are on the right side of the target. When I shoot his, my shots are all on the left side. :shock:

snakeeyes4445

Single-Sixer
Retired optometrist and iron sight shooter here thinks maybe you have uncorrected astigmatism. Go in and get tuned up to see if that helps. Your grip method makes a lot of difference though and is more likely the root cause......good luck.

Fomdiddle

Single-Sixer
A friend gave me one and I like it so much, I ordered three more to give to my friends who shoot long range. They are fantastic. if you dont know how tight the sight is, just pull it back a little, if that doesn't move it, pull a little harder until you get the desired smack. I love mine and will buy more.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Harbor Freight has a $4 small hammer with screw-in heads in nylon and brass and others... found them at Hobby Lobby also.
Dedicated sight-pusher tools are not too much more than a pizza if you do that more than once in a blue moon.