Small silica gel packets for bolt storage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

To increase long gun capacity in my safe I take the bolts out of my guns and store them in suitably sized containers. I've found some Tupperware-type containers that work pretty good. Two to three to a box works well, 8"x 5"x 1 3/4" is the size I found. I put Scotch tape on the box and label which bolts each contains.
The other day while I was throwing out the umpteenth little packet of silica gel that comes with many items I had the bright idea of regenerating these and tossing them in each bolt box. Hey, it can't hurt, can it?
John
NRA Patron
TSRA Life

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
As long as you are pulling and boxing the bolts you might as well store them in a different secure place.
Rifles with no bolts go a long way toward being undesirable weight to a thief.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
No problem, always glad when I can drag someone else towards my level of hoarding.
Have you considered a third secure location for those revolver cylinders ??????
Hmmmmm

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
No!!!! If you do, don't let any metal rest on the packets, saw a friend's Walther PP get major pitting after he left it rest mistakenly on top of a gel packet. YMMV, just a warning.

Might be better to use rust inhibitor VCI paper. I bought a package of 1000 squares of it from amazon for around $10. Put each bolt in a ziplock bag with a couple squares of paper and a label describing which rifle they go to.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
silica gel crystals in the kitty litter aisle are much more cost-effective, and
Personally I'd use put several bolts in cheap tupperware so individual bolts/parts don't get lost, which would render the expensive part (the rifle) almost worthless.

Enigma

Hunter
I would either wrap the bolts in VPI paper, then box them, or else toss a couple of these VPI tabs into the box before I'd use silica gel packets. Silica gel absorbs moisture (obviously); it also retains that moisture, and can cause rust if it touches the steel parts as stated above. VPI does not. More expensive, but better results.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shop-accessories-supplies/gun-storage-materials/rust-inhibiting-vapor-tabs/rust-blox-vapor-tabs-prod1207.aspx

Well Snowninja, arfmel, and Enigma, after considering your comments I believe I've come across a solution that will not only solve my problem, but could benefit a lot of folks with large safes.
Silica gel is very probably the most available and cost effective desiccant for general storage of large pieces of metal stocked with wood in a pretty tight steel box which will be opened periodically.
Snowninja's concern hit home. I think we've all seen instances where a "safely stored" piece was damaged. I fondly remember the first reasonably priced stainless steel firearms coming on the market, so that dates me. But I think I have a solution...and this is in no way an endorsement of one product over another and I am not receiving any sort of compensation. In fact, I haven't done this myself yet.
Nalgene(TM) makes 1 oz. (30 ml) wide mouth bottles out of polypropylene copolymer (PPOC). This stuff is "autoclavable" and rated to 135º C / 275º F. You can get these for less than $2.75 each. I'm gonna use a small brad heated red hot to poke plenty of holes in the bottle and then fill it with silica gel. The small brad (nail) will be smaller than the silica gel bead.
I think this solves Snowninja's astute concerns about saturated silica gel packets contacting the objects they are supposed to protect and causing them damage.
IF (and that's a big IF) PPOC will routinely stand up to 250º, which is the usual temperature for regenerating silica gel, I think this will work for me and maybe y'all. Looks like you can get a quart size bottle for ~$13 bucks if you want to use it for your larger volume area. I'm gonna use a separate oven thermometer instead of relying on the dial. Those can be waaaay off. If you have a source of silica gel I think you're set. In a worst case scenario you can regenerate the gel in an oven, put it in an air tight vessel to cool, then transfer it to your ventilated container, Obviously you're gonna have to spend a bit more time with a brad, vise-grip pliers, and a propane torch for a bigger container.*
*WARNING: don't do this unless you are thoroughly trained and familiar with fire, hot pointy objects, and dealing with molten plastic. Do not do this near small children. Not only could they be harmed, but they may use this knowledge to bad affect later when unsupervised. And don't do this on the kitchen table if you are in a relationship.
I think this will work for me. I hope it does the same for y'all.

tunnug

Single-Sixer
All great ideas, now for those that can't wait until they've collected enough of those packets, go to your local crafts store (Michael's for example) in the flower drying area they have a large box of silica crystals (around 10lbs) for about $12, I used a discount coupon to bring the price to $8+/-, I poured some crystals in an old sock, tied it off and hung it in the safe, works great.