OM Flattop 44 conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I may purchase a 44 Flattop that has had the safety conversion; and I would like to change it back to "pre safety conversion" using an OM hammer/trigger that I have stashed (from an OM 45 Colt Blackhawk). Just want to be sure they will fit in an old Flattop 44. Will the OM parts from a large frame 45 work to convert that OM 44 Flattop...? If so, any surprises to be aware of...? THANKS, Johnnu2

jgt

Buckeye
If your are building a 44 from a 45 then yes except for the cylinder and barrel. You may need a new hand and bolt but that depends on the new cylinder fit and timing. If you are building a 45 from a 44 then the barrel will have to be replaced or rebored. The cylinder will have to be rechambered but will work for that procedure.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks jgt.... Ill have to clarify my question in my first post i.e. .... I may purchase a 44 Flattop that has had the safety conversion and would like to change it back to "pre safety conversion" using an OM hammer/trigger etc that I have stashed. Just want to be sure they will fit in an old Flattop 44.
Thanks again,
J

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Agreed, they're both the same size frame; large.

However, you'll need an original old model cyl stop latch, they're different.

The cyl pin is also different but the retrofit cyl pin will work.

The hand is the same but use the one in the 44, it's factory fitted to your cyl.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks Hondo.... I'm pretty sure that I have all those parts in my stash. Didn't remember about the cyl latch, it's been a very long time since I 're-converted'. Good tip on the 'hand'. I probably won't be buying the old FT44 for awhile, I keep an eye on it; it's been sitting for years so I know it won't be going anywhere until I get ready to make my move :))).

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Johnnu2 said:
I keep an eye on it; it's been sitting for years so I know it won't be going anywhere until I get ready to make my move :))).
...and then one day you may wake up and the train will have left the station. Hope that doesn't happen to you. :D

Johnnu2

Hunter
Jimbo..... at my very advanced age, I've found that there has ALWAYS another train coming down the line..... Until that very last one takin' us home :))))

Latest posts