Mini 14 W/Barrel Frosting & other issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
I know without pictures it's hard to analyze things, looking at 180-Serial, Mini-14. The Rifle is clean and dry.

The bore has a frosted look, not pitted like an old rifle but it actually looked like it was parkerized on the inside. I pulled my bore snake through it a few times just to see if it would clean up some. But it did nothing.

Also the action wouldn't slam into battery, you had to push it the last ½" to 3/8" or so to lock it in.

Then charging handle would just pop out when you would pull it back.

Personally I think it was just reassembled incorrectly, because the trigger group didn't look like it was seated correctly in the stock.

I asked if I could break it down to inspect it, but the guy said he didn't have the "time" to let me. He didn't seem to know anything about it, or was playing dumb

Any ideas on the barrel issue or why the bolt would close correctly without actually having it in your hands?

personally I would stay away from the early 180,181? prefix gun, had a couple over the years the early round bolts the lugs would shear off??? had two sent them back to Ruger, will NOT work on them, NO parts available, they made significant changes to the later 182 and up guns, and even now not sure what the status is for them as there are a few NEWER model of the Minis now out there......sad to say the early 200th year guns are wasted.....not for me or anyone I know...... by the way, we took them busted bolt guns and put in Ceiner 22 conversions and it worked for a couple of guys many years ago,BUT a 22 long rifle Mini????? nah,,,sorry Charlie...... :? 8)
and still have my 187 prefix Mini stashed away, my one and ONLY modern assault??? rifle,,,have too much ammo and magazines for it anyway, besides it was a gift from the family of a friend worked for the City of Cleveland, may Mr Reed rest in Peace :(

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
Thanks, Good to know. I'll keep looking for something newer. Was thinking I wanted to get what I had back in the 80's.

I ended up selling it when I decided I needed a better euducation, when jobs dried up in the area I lived.