SB Hammer in Single Seven

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
Does anyone know if a Super Blackhawk hammer will fit and work in a 327 Fed Mag. single Seven. I have installed SB hammers in all my New Model Blackhawks and would like to do the same to my 327 SS I have a weak thumb and the larger spur helps in the cocking. Thanks

NikA

Buckeye
I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will come along with a more detailed reply, but the simple answer is no, hammers for the Blackhawk size frame will be too large for the Single Six size frame.

I believe there may be Bisley hammers available for the SS frame, or someone can custom you up something to meet your needs.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You can install it in a S7 but it's too tall. You must cut and remove about an 1/8" section right under the spur above the hammer plunger hole, then tig weld it back together.

Here's one on a Super single six:

large.jpg

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
Hondo, nicely done if you do not mind an accolade from the forum peanut gallery.

Some other options I have used or seen used:

1. Hammer extension as is used on rifle lever guns. Available in the ugly round or the nicer rectangular tab, around $10 to $20. Most likely bolt-on depending on what is sourced. Most can be reversed right to left.

2. Replace the stiff standard Ruger main spring with a reduced power aftermarket (Wolff) spring. The standard is 23lb(?) with lighter springs readily available at 19, 18, and 17. Usually $9 for the set of three. Also lightens trigger pull somewhat.

3. Install a Ruger Single Six Bisley hammer. Somewhat rare and thus pricey ($100), requires modification (filing and/or grinding) to the hammer skirt or grip frame hammer opening.

4. Install a Power Custom half-cock Bisley style Single Six hammer with non-Bisley trigger kit. Drop-in about 90% of the time, minor modifications otherwise. Pricey at $150 to $200.

G2

Hunter
It all depends on the "how bad do you want it" factor.

It can be done, this one is a OM that I'm building, 9.5" Super Single Six. :roll:
413222177.jpg

Picture tuitorial on the chop/weld/grind method. It's how I did the Super Single Six Hammer.
MVC-192S.jpg

MVC-193S.jpg

MVC-196S.jpg