Decking and thinning a single action grip frame?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

P89DC

Single-Sixer
I've seen single action grip frames "decked" and wonder if anyone thins down Bisley or birdseye grip frames to the the same width as the Vaquero/mid-size gripframe? I would expect the trigger spring retaining pin would have to be switched to the shorter/thinner one that's used on the Vaquero/mid-size gripframe.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
WIL TERRY said:
Define " decked ".

And so it goes...

Some custom smiths resurface the sides of grip frames to flatten them and true the surface. They call that "decking"
Rugers castings often are not exactly flat and grip panels don't fit as well as they could.

never had one yet that was NOT "flat",,,,yes often the castings may differ in outer dimensions ( wider or longer than any given grip panel), often saw this with the early stainless Vaqueros, metal stuck out around the grip panel,BUT again, NEVER had, saw ,or worked on one that the sides were NOT "flat". Yes, I would understand thinning one down so it was the same as the newer, thinner,, (narrow) grip frames ala , the "New Vaquero"...............sounds like another way to get MORE $$$$ out of a potential customer, justify the overall cost of "customizing",,, milk it baby 8) :roll:

just for information , the measurements we took from those two examples when the New Vaquero first came out is, the original Vaquero the frame thickness is .488"nom., and the NEW Vaquero is .440" nom.
what we measured, NOT from the blueprints, factory drawings ( patent app) :wink:

P89DC

Single-Sixer
I'm sorry, I thought the term was in common usage. Here's a thread with a photo of actual imperfections that "decking" will resolve fitment issues:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=248447#p2493604

Scam? Milking? I'm any case I'll be doing the work myself, no funds expended.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Decking is a relatively uncommon procedure, usually reserved for those who demand the utmost in grip fitment. If your frame of reference is factory or off the shelf grips and the way they fit, I'm sure it might sound like a silly extravagance. However, if you're paying the likes of the late Roy Fishpaw, Rob Rowen or Jack Huntington to fit some top shelf custom grips, it is almost mandatory. As they come from Ruger, the grip flats are usually either as-cast or rough machined. They can be uneven with less than crisp edges. Decking corrects all that. It's easier to get perfect grip fit when the grip frame has been decked. Another trick they use is to slightly overhang the grips over the grip frame/receiver junction to cover unsightly gaps left by Ruger's less than perfect fitting.

IMG_9429b.jpg

Latest posts