Bolt lift force

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike4570

Bearcat
I own 3 Ruger Hawkeye rifles, 1 long action, and 2 short action Scouts. All three were purchased used but are believed to be 100% stock.
The force required to lift the bolt and compress the firing pin spring is substantially higher in the scouts than the standard Hawkeye. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Mike

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Mike,

The bolt design for the 3 are identical...except for 2 things. 1) the difference in length of the bolt; short action vs long action. The bolt length shouldn't make a difference, but I don't have a long action MkII or Hawkeye to compare against the short actions I do have. And 2) the diagonal cut on the Scouts may not be as smooth as the diagonal on the Standard.

One way to smooth out the diagonal cut is to disassemble the bolt per the Instruction Manual. The diagonal cuts at the back of the bolt body and the striker on the bottom of the bottom of the firing pin assembly are then readily accessable. Check for burrs or rough surfaces. Smooth as necesssary.

Hope this helps,
Ted

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
A little grease on the cocking cam ("diagonal cut") often helps the ease of bolt operation also. I use a high pressure lube like greases ment for auto pistol slide
Rails. A little dab wil do ya.

mike4570

Bearcat
Thanks guys. Post deer season, I think I will hit the cocking area with some valve lapping compound and work it while I watch TV. Once it's smooth I'll hit it with some lube.

Sharps40

Buckeye
If the bolt is designed with buttress threads to retain the cocking piece/gas shield...first disassemble, clean and lube the threads. When dry or dirty the force to unlock the bolt is much higher. Stoning the interfaces as mentioned is likely not needed.