Extended firing Pin Tool from Bowen

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sunfish

Bearcat
What is the small pin for that is included with the tool? It's about 2 inches long and in a separate pack but stapled together with the tool. I bought the extended pin w/shim kit and the heavy duty main springs. My Redhawk convertible has a light strike issue and I intend to cure it. Any help or tips on this is greatly appreciated.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok,, I'm a little confused here.
It may be due to I'm wondering about a Double Action Redhawk that's a convertible. Two cylinders?

But,, w/o me going to dig out a Redhawk,, if the firing pin is mounted in the frame like the Blackhawks,, the 2" long pin is used to drive out the existing firing pin retaining pin. It's a pin driven in the frame across the sides,, to hold the parts in place.
Look inside the cylinder window,, for a hole,, the same size as the 2" pin. Look on the outside of the frame,, in aligned with the hole,, and you should BARELY see the head of the pin,, flush with the frame.
If light strikes are an issue,, I'd replace the mainspring first,,, try that,, and if you still have light strikes,, switch to Federal primers.
I'd do these two things before I'd attempt a firing pin replacement.

sunfish

Bearcat
Sorry for the confusion. Its a 45 Colt that shoots 45 ACP with Ruger moon clips. Is it possible my pin just turns out and the long pin is for other types or models? Thank you for your reply

contender

Ruger Guru
Nope,, your firing pin does not "turn" out. The pin is held in place in a similar method as the Blackhawks. There is the firing pin, the return spring, the recoil plate for it,, and the recoil plate retaining pin. That pin is what holds it all in place. It should be driven in the frame, crosswise,, and the ends polished to where it becomes invisible,, or almost invisible.
Look in your manual,, (you do have one don't you?) and you will see the parts.