Fit of a 45 ACP cylinder large frame vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
Hello, I have a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt 2002 build and would like to put a 45 ACP cylinder on the gun. Thinking it may add value down the road also. I see a lot of old model cylinders in 45 ACP available I know they have to be checked with a caliber for fitment and be the same size or larger then the original Colt cylinder. But I didn't know if all old model 45 ACP cylinders would fit the 2002 built vaqueiro original large frame. If not what should I be looking for? Thank you! George

loaded round

Hunter
I added a 45 ACP cylinder to my 45 Colt Vaquero several years ago. It was a fairly easy fit with just a bare minimum of fitting (filing) needed to have the cylinder rotate smoothly. The 45 ACP cylinder actually is more accurate than any 45 Colt round I've shot using my favorite 200 gr LSWC bullet that I use in my 1911.

George

Blackhawk
Thank you for your reply. So any old model 45 ACP cylinder will fit my large frame 2002 built Ruger Vaquero? I ask this because Ruger Vaqueros always had a transfer bar and I don't think we're ever really old model but I could be wrong that's why I'm asking. I have a Davidson short barreled 3 and 5/8 or 3 and 3/4 not sure blued gun with a second generation case-hardened finish, grip frame birdshead with black mykta grips. This particular gun was not offered by Davison in a convertible and I think I would be completing the package if I added a 45 ACP cylinder. I'm 1911 guy got back into Rugers years ago and like the larger bore guns. 45 ACP had always been my favorite until I shot 45 Colt and fell in love. So really just want a cylinder fit to the gun or I should say that I can fit to the gun and know I am buying the right one from a seller. 45 Long Colt is a little expensive but I reload for it so it works out and it sure is really nice not having to bend over and scrounge for your brass after you're done shooting. Glad your cylinder worked out for you! George

loaded round

Hunter
George:
I bought my Ruger 45 ACP cylinder a few years ago online (Gunbroker I believe) and I had the seller give me the actual dimensions of the cylinder, so I knew what I was getting. Since my Vaquero was the large frame pistol and at the time Ruger did not make a convertible Vaquero, I assume my cylinder was from a Blackhawk revolver. It worked.
Mike/Loadedround

George said:
Thank you for your reply. So any old model 45 ACP cylinder will fit my large frame 2002 built Ruger Vaquero? I ask this because Ruger Vaqueros always had a transfer bar and I don't think we're ever really old model but I could be wrong that's why I'm asking. I have a Davidson short barreled 3 and 5/8 or 3 and 3/4 not sure blued gun with a second generation case-hardened finish, grip frame birdshead with black mykta grips. This particular gun was not offered by Davison in a convertible and I think I would be completing the package if I added a 45 ACP cylinder. I'm 1911 guy got back into Rugers years ago and like the larger bore guns. 45 ACP had always been my favorite until I shot 45 Colt and fell in love. So really just want a cylinder fit to the gun or I should say that I can fit to the gun and know I am buying the right one from a seller. 45 Long Colt is a little expensive but I reload for it so it works out and it sure is really nice not having to bend over and scrounge for your brass after you're done shooting. Glad your cylinder worked out for you! George

loaded round

Hunter
George:
I have both old and new model Blackhawk's and Vaquero's, and as far as I can see the cylinders appear to be identical with the exception of some cosmetic and marking differences. It doesn't make much sense for Ruger to manufacture two different size cylinders.

quote="loaded round"]George:
I bought my Ruger 45 ACP cylinder a few years ago online (Gunbroker I believe) and I had the seller give me the actual dimensions of the cylinder, so I knew what I was getting. Since my Vaquero was the large frame pistol and at the time Ruger did not make a convertible Vaquero, I assume my cylinder was from a Blackhawk revolver. It worked.
Mike/Loadedround

George said:
[/quote]

George

Blackhawk
I too have a new model Blackhawk I purchased new in 2017 it is a flat top and like the new Vaqueros same vintage are mid-size or should I say mid size frame guns smaller than the old Vaqueros or should I say original Vaqueros. Which I also have I do know the cylinders will not work. But I did not know if a cylinders from the old model non-transferable bar system we're compatible with something as new as my large frame 2002 built vaqueiro. Yes I know about getting the dimensions before buying. But I thank you for all the info you have given me. What I hear you saying is as long as it's a large frame gun it doesn't matter if it's old model or new model the APC cylinder will fit.And be f in time with the gun. I realized other dimensions affect cylinder 2 Barrel clearance Earth shake and tightness not to mention numerous other things. This I can adjust for. Thank you for your info! George

loaded round

Hunter
All I can say it worked for me. I also did the same thing with a Vaquero in 44-40 that I bought used at an auction, found and fitted a Blackhawk 44 mag cylinder ( not a Super Blackhawk cylinder) to it and it functioned perfectly. If find a used 45 ACP cylinder online, get the dimensions and check out your pistol with a good set of calipers. If you were near me, I'd let you try out my 45 ACP cylinder for fit.

George said:
I too have a new model Blackhawk I purchased new in 2017 it is a flat top and like the new Vaqueros same vintage are mid-size or should I say mid size frame guns smaller than the old Vaqueros or should I say original Vaqueros. Which I also have I do know the cylinders will not work. But I did not know if a cylinders from the old model non-transferable bar system we're compatible with something as new as my large frame 2002 built vaqueiro. Yes I know about getting the dimensions before buying. But I thank you for all the info you have given me. What I hear you saying is as long as it's a large frame gun it doesn't matter if it's old model or new model the APC cylinder will fit.And be f in time with the gun. I realized other dimensions affect cylinder 2 Barrel clearance Earth shake and tightness not to mention numerous other things. This I can adjust for. Thank you for your info! George

George

Blackhawk
Loaded round, thank you! I will look for a good price on a old model ACP cylinder from a large frame! Old model. I will measure dimensions of my cylinder and compare before I purchase! I'm a lot more comfortable now in purchasing one knowing it should work if I'm careful measuring on my end and fitting if need be! Thank you!. George

loaded round

Hunter
You're quite welcome and good luck with your project.

George said:
Loaded round, thank you! I will look for a good price on a old model ACP cylinder from a large frame! Old model. I will measure dimensions of my cylinder and compare before I purchase! I'm a lot more comfortable now in purchasing one knowing it should work if I'm careful measuring on my end and fitting if need be! Thank you!. George