Best Methods For Intermediate-Term Gun Storage?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Montelores

Buckeye
Hi, all -

Would you have any suggestions for the best method of gun storage for guns which

will not be needed / used in an intermediate time period?

These would be guns stored in a safe, in a heated / air-conditioned room, but I have

no plans to shoot them in the foreseeable future.

I'm trying to save myself the work of pulling them out regularly and wiping them

down with gun oil / Ballistol / etc. I suppose grease would be an

option, but that might require a lot of work on both ends.

I'm also concerned about the wood stocks / grips, and I don't want to damage

them.

I came across these:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014659879/break-free-collector-long-term-gun-storage-preservative-gun-oil-4-oz-liquid

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shop-accessories-supplies/gun-storage-materials/rust-inhibiting-vapor-tabs/rust-blox-vapor-tabs-prod1207.aspx

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/rust-prevention/1-pt-rust-preventive-2-filled-sku083019016-1124-4014.aspx?rrec=true

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/rust-prevention/rig-universal-gun-grease-prod31842.aspx

Thanks in advance -

Monty

Enigma

Hunter
RIG works very well when used on already clean, dry guns. Emphasis on clean and dry; guns CAN rust under the RIG if it is applied to a contaminated surface. Rust-Blox tabs are also excellent when the gun is stored in a storage bag, and can last for several years when the bag is sealed and air-tight. No experience with Break Free Collector. Brownells Rust Preventive #2 is intended for short term use on bare steel between polishing and bluing,and I'm not certain that it would work well for your intended use. Brownells could tell you for sure, and could also possibly recommend some other products. A vapor phase inhibitor product in a sealed bag of some type is what the military currently uses for long term storage. We order the barrier paper in 200-yard rolls and and make our own heat-seal bags for storing war reserve weapons here in Korea. They are pulled out of storage once a year, inspected and gaged, then placed in a new bag for another year.

Montelores

Buckeye
Thanks for the responses and the details.

You seem to have some experience with this, Enigma. My guns are all clean and dry, and thanks for the warning about that and using Rig. I may give Brownells a call and ask them.

Be safe over there.

Thanks, also, recumbent. The Clenzoil website doesn't offer much info, other than pricing, but I will look into it. I don't want to harm the wood, and they claim that as a feature.

Thanks to both.

Monty

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

If stored in relatively low humidity, my own experience says this is one of those situations where it doesn't matter what one uses as much as that one uses something!

I don't recall if it's from Hoppe's or Outer's, but one of them has a "gun grease" which is actually a light cosmoline for storage. I understand that was the original job RIG was formulated for, too. Lee's Liquid Alox (LLA), normally used for lubing cast bullets, is another light version of cosmoline. LLA can be heated prior to use so it can be applied in a lighter coat if desired, instead of creating something that it looks like started life around Moscow. You guys who've bought "well preserved" Mosin-Nagants will know what I mean!

I've used both the "gun grease" product and LLA for storage ranging from a year to maybe five years and both worked well. I also once stored a shotgun, in a hard case in an attic/crawl space, for over 10 years using nothing but plain ol' Vaseline! It came out of the case looking like it had going in. But remember, where I live humidity is very low, so if one's in a humid environment, even with climate controlling hardware in the safe, it's probably wise to do an annual check, then extend the storage period as conditions dictate.

Rick C

Montelores

Buckeye
Thanks, Rick.

Good advice, just use something!

Brownells does have this, which seems to be a replacement for Cosmoline:

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/rust-prevention/rust-veto-prod26344.aspx

I've been a proponent of Ballistol, because I believe that it's benign for wood stocks, but I may switch to one of the greases recommended here, carefully applied, for my safe queens.

Thanks for the feedback -

Monty

1ruger

Single-Sixer
I live in Florida and had to store away all my guns for 4 years when I moved overseas for work.
I cleaned and generously sprayed all my guns inside and out with Eezox lube and placed them in a Stack-On gun cabinet. Each handgun was taken out of their case/box and kept standing on a wire rack. The gun cabinet was placed in my parents garage (West Palm Beach) which did not have a/c or heat and exposed to outside weather temp/humidity when garage door opened. During those 4 years the cabinet was never opened or moved and only thing my parents did was to make sure the cabinet did not get wet. 4 years later I opened the cabinet each gun still had that white/gray film of Eezox on the gun and when I wiped it off the finish was just like it was when I put them in...including the Royal Blue finish on the Python. I wish I could have said the same for my Mitsubishi 300GT VR4 that was in the same garage.

Montelores

Buckeye
Thanks very much for that great personal experience.

I'll look into Eezox -

Sorry about the car!

Monty

sncup

Single-Sixer
If the guns are not going to be used – storage - then controlling moisture is a way to stop rust. IF you can seal a cabinet or safe then consider using Nitrogen to purge the cabinet.

https://nigen.com/what-is-nitrogen-purging-procedure-services/

What Is Nitrogen Purging?
That is why the industrial use of nitrogen in the oil and gas industry is so common. When aiming to purge pipelines, for instance, dry nitrogen gas can be run through the lines to eliminate any remaining water

Optimizes efficacy in pharmaceutical labs (preserves pH, eliminates microbial growth, minimizes corrosion, etc.)

Tire Aging
The air in your tire is typically 78 percent nitrogen and 21 percent oxygen. oxygen will retain moisture inside the tire. The moisture causes oxidation on the tire wall casing which can cause premature tire aging.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
All my firearms get a wipedown of a RustePrufe chamois cloth. Very old school gun oil impregnated chamois cloth in a glass jar. Works great. Anyways after the wipedown. Everything goes into a sackup silicone impregnated gunsock. Never have any issues. Weather I am storing something for months or several years between wipedowns The sackups also prevent safe scars and increase the number of guns I can get in the safe.

Montelores

Buckeye
I had never known of RustePrufe before this.

The website has, unfortunately, very little information about the products.

I'll follow up on this.

Thanks -

Monty

Latest posts