Om converted single six binding up

Help Support Ruger Forum:

butcherboy1985

Single-Sixer
Hi I recently bought a history unknown om single six that had conversion. Upon inspection cylinder catch was not installed correctly...it was jammed inside frame and hidden but the hammer was smooth and cocked easily. Upon removal and reinstall of cylinder catch the hammer is extremely hard to cock and very rough. Pawl plunger and spring are installed correctly. I'm kinda lost here as to what is binding up. Revolver is a beat up shooter with non matching cylinder and custom welded front sight... trying to avoid a trip to Ruger.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks butcherboy in GA

butcherboy1985

Single-Sixer
Hello everyone. So after reinstalling everything and looking at my other converted sixes I'm still unsure of the issue. I do have a follow up question...

If someone replaced the mainspring with a weaker or stronger one ...would the force required to cock the revolver be affected +\-??

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
RoninPA said:
I guess I'll be the one to say it. I think you are going to need to take it completely apart and put it back together again to insure that everything was done right.

+1 ^^^ check each part for fit as they are removed starting with that mismatched cylinder. Next I would remove the grips and loosen the grip frame screws,checking for function with each step. You will locate the problem. Let us know what you find.

Changing out the mainspring does change the effort required to cock the hammer but should not be a lot. Make sure that at full cock there is still a slight gap between the coils of the main spring and that it is not stacked up solid and the hammer strut is not installed backwards.

butcherboy1985

Single-Sixer
Ok thank you for all the advice. I think I found the problem possibly.

Without the cylinder catch installed there is no problem. I'm wondering if the converted catch is bent? Anyone have a picture of a good one?