Slick Bearcat Sights!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mb111263

Single-Sixer
Check out the new front sight for the adjustable sight Bearcat, available from 2dogs!

Gunblast Video: https://youtu.be/i6_EAHy_x24

2dogs website: www.fermincgarza.com

Sharps40

Buckeye
Ok, i'll bite. Other than that they are made by someone who is not ruger and appear to be very nicely finished......whats the attraction? I'm not convinced on the aesthetics.....they look about as blocky as an standard soldered on blackhawk sight.

2 dogs

Buckeye
Sharps40 said:
Ok, i'll bite. Other than that they are made by someone who is not ruger and appear to be very nicely finished......whats the attraction? I'm not convinced on the aesthetics.....they look about as blocky as an standard soldered on blackhawk sight.

Well let's see. They are steel not plastic which is what comes from the factory. The serrations are hand cut and are very deep. This makes the front sight appear to be far more distinct in your vision as each serration makes it's own shadow. The base is lowered considerably. Perhaps the photos don't show that adequately but it has a profile that is lowered enough that it requires a shorter screw so it is not "as blocky". This allows for a taller blade which keeps the base from becoming part of your sight picture and or blurring in at the bottom of the rear notch. Further, if you like to shoot at long range, you have plenty of sight to hold over. The blades themselves are available in custom widths as well as custom heights. My old friend John Taffin is pushing 80, and here is a picture of a target he shot. Here is a shot of the sight, on a custom stainless Bearcat via Tyler Gunworks, that offers a different perspective and might catch your eye better. Thanks for your interest!
tlGBfo5.jpg

ylB52l8.jpg

Sharps40

Buckeye
Sorry fellas, I can't say as I like either on a small revolver. Maybe for a carbine or rifle. I think its the large size of both the factory and the replacment. Nicely enough made but....

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Yup , it is a high flying sight for sure but,,,,, it is the nature of the beast on a adj. sight Bearcat.
Really no way around it . That or go back to a fixed sight gun.
Tis the best of a bad situation.

RSIno1

Hunter
2 dogs said:
.... plastic which is what comes from the factory.
You just gave me a reason to stay away from "new" Bearcats. I've got an OM I bought for the grandson. It hasn't been converted and I was thinking of adding a new "safer" one. But since it seems the bean counters have also ruined the Bearcat I'll pass.

RSIno1 said:
2 dogs said:
.... plastic which is what comes from the factory.
You just gave me a reason to stay away from "new" Bearcats. I've got an OM I bought for the grandson. It hasn't been converted and I was thinking of adding a new "safer" one. But since it seems the bean counters have also ruined the Bearcat I'll pass.
Just curious. Have you actually looked at a New Bearcat without the adjustable sights? Unless you have a very 'calibrated eye' I doubt you can tell the difference between an old or a new model without reading the left side of the frame.

NikA

Buckeye
The factory front sights pictured on the adjustable sight Bearcat are not plastic; my guess is that they are diecast aluminum with some sort of thick powdercoat that makes them appear plastic. On the sights pictured, there is a clear scratch on the front of the sight that shows the metal underneath the coating.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
My ADJ. sight Bearcat is a couple of years old and the front sight is aluminum . I guess things could change but I doubt they would cheap out there.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I wish Ruger would have copied the the adjustable sights on the Bearcat like Boge Quinn has. A low profile S&W sight milled into the top strap. I hope someone here has a picture of his gun and can post it.