to often?, not often enough?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I just got done with my complete cleaning of my Ruger LCR revolver in 9mm, I do this every 6 months. Now I clean after shooting, I clean the barrrel and wipe down the gun but thats it for basic after shooting cleaning. now every six months even tho I don't take the gun apart other than the grip but every six month I have been removing the grip and oiling the mainspring and even tho I haven't shot 1000rds i also oil the pivot pin area, I also put oil down in the cylinder latch area and down in the slot where the hand is, I clean and oil under the ejector. I have done this since I got my LCR back in December 2015, does anyone else do this type of cleaning? should I do it more often?, less often? I haven't had any problems with my gun, this is a habit I have got into. I also while I'm at it do the same with my rifles and shotguns too. thanks

boomer, I think you're doing fine. That said, don't over oil, too much can be a detriment. I believe if you look at the LCF manual (or the manual(s) for you other guns, they tell you where to oil or grease and how much to use.

There is an old saying "Grease if it slides, oil if it rotates."

The only time I deviate is with revolvers, I like to grease the top of the mainspring strut where it contacts the hammer of Ruger revolvers. Although I guess the bolt on an AR does "slide" and a lot of AR shooters like to have the bolts pretty wet with oil due to the way they work. (a lot of dissimilar metals moving against each other)